SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ruthanna_gw

My Last Wish

ruthanna_gw
12 years ago

Help me! I'm a meaty fresh pork hock (3.75 pounds) sitting in Ruthanna's refrigerator awaiting my fate sometime this weekend.

Rumor has it around the the butcher shop that she's in a Pork Hock Rut. I've heard that she strips off and freezes our tough skin, browns us and braises us low and slow in the oven in a casserole of broth, beans, carrots, leeks, celery, garlic, herbs and spices. The problem is that she ALWAYS prepares us that way.

The end result is yummy but I don't want to be just another anonymous hunk of meat buried in a pile of beans. This is the final chance to express my unique piggy personality in a way that's different from my predecessors.

Please, if you can suggest another way to prepare me, maybe she'll step out of the box and let me go out as a Star! TIA for any ideas.

P.S. We are expecting up to 4" of rain so grilling is not possible.

Comments (24)

• beachlily z9a
    12 years ago

OMG, I'm sorry I can't help .... laughing too hard!

• Lars
    12 years ago

I usually cook it Southwestern style with bunches of dried chilies and onions and sometimes make it into Ropa Vieja. I have also cooked it Chinese style with ginger and garlic, but that makes a lot of Chinese pork. I'm sure you could find other Chinese recipes if you want to go that route, which I really like.

Lars

• teresa_nc7
    12 years ago

This favorite recipe uses "country-style" pork ribs, but I don't see why you couldn't use that lovely pork hock instead, maybe with the skin removed.

I make this in the pressure cooker, but I think it would be just fine to cook it long and slow on the stove top or in the oven in a heavy pot with a lid. Maybe cook everything together except the potatoes and carrots for about an hour, then add in the vegetables and cook another hour.

Country Pork Ribs and Sauerkraut ~ Pressure Cooker

1 1/2 to 2 lbs. pork country-style ribs, trimmed of extra fat, cut into 3-4 inch pieces
    oil � a drizzle to brown the ribs
    1 large clove garlic, minced
    1/2 large onion, sliced
    2 cups sauerkraut - drain and save the liquid from the sauerkraut
    1 TB brown sugar
    1/2 t. salt
    freshly ground black pepper
    1-2 med. to large Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled cut in 4 pieces
    1 large carrot, peel cut into 2-inch pieces
    1/2 t. dried thyme
    1/2 cup sauerkraut juice - saved from draining the sauerkraut
    1/2 cup apple juice or apple cider
    1/2 cup water

The ribs are browned in the heated PC in just a little olive oil. Then add garlic and onion on top of the meat. Mix sauerkraut, brown sugar, salt and pepper in a bowl and pour over ribs in pot. Push the potato and carrot pieces down into the sauerkraut and added a sprinkle of dried thyme. Add liquids to pot.
    Put on the lid, put on the temperature gauge and turned up the heat to medium high. After the gauge begins to rock, turn down the heat to low and set timer for 15 minutes. I stayed in the kitchen to be sure the gauge was kept gently rocking on a very low flame (gas stove).
    After 15 minutes, cut off the flame on the stove and let the pot sit for 3 minutes. Carefully carry the pot to the sink and turn on the tap for a slow drizzle of water over the pot. When the handle lock latch and the over-pressure vent go down, it is safe to open the pot and enjoy the aromas.

I know you must have some sauerkraut and apple cider available nearby.....;o)

Teresa

• coconut_nj
    12 years ago

I'd treat Ms.Piggy as we do our favorite fresh piggy method. Make lots and lots of slits and stuff it with nice healthy slivers of garlic. Then brown and braise it as you normally do. Low and slow. We generally do it in a Nesco or crock pot but the oven certainly is great for it. Then we skim the fat and make a nice gravy and serve it over rice. An onion and carrot in the pot make the gravy all the better to me.

• lindac
    12 years ago

Dear Porkhock....if you were in my kitchen instead of ruthanna's you would have that tough skin stripped off and be browned in my biggest Dutch oven with some garlic, olive oil, onions and green pepper to become the base for a meaty Italian inspired tomato sauce.
    You might have some of your cousins Mr Beefshin and Ms Chickenthigh keep you company in what might be known as Sunday gravy.
    Linda C

• hawk307
    12 years ago

Ruthanna:

You are nuts!!! Join the club.

Hambone:
    If it was up to me , " your fate is sealed "

She is a showoff too.
    I-ll have to find out if she delivers.

Then I can " meat " you, at Dinner one night.

Had to do that before some critisized my spelling.

I-m glad I can speak Engliese and don-t have to press my nose.

Just thought of something !!!

Ask her if you can have the Beans Baked with all the bad stuff mixed in,
    Karo,Pinch of Powdered Cloves, Pieces of Italian Sausage ( simmered a little first, to remove the fat )and

onions, plus, all the other stuff she adds to her Beans,
    Topped with strips of Bacon.
    You will want to dive into these Beans.

Don-t tell her I told you all this, she is close enough to drive up and beat me.

LOU

PS:
    I don-t care if she delivers, I-m going to Bake some myself

OR
    With the leftovers she can make:

Here is a Quickie.. I made it in about ten minutes or so.

Beans with Escarole ( Fagiolo con Escarole )

Ingredients:
    1 head of Escarole, chopped in 3 inch pieces.
    1 quarter Cup of EVOO
    1 - 15.5 oz. Can of Bush�s Cannelline Beans ( White Kidney Beans. )
    1 Tomato chopped and Micro Waved 2 minutes.
    Three quarters cup of Ham Pieces
    One half teaspoon of Garlic Powder and Onion Powder

Sautee the Escarole in the EVOO ,
    along with the Garlic and Onion Powder, until softened.

Meanwhile:
    Dump the can of Beans in a small pot, add the nuked tomatoes and
    the Ham pieces , Simmer until the Escarole is ready.

Mix everything together. Taste test for Salt and Spices.
    We had this with Garlic Bread for dipping.
    Lou

Here is a Quickie.. I made it in about ten minutes or so.

Beans with Escarole ( Fagiolo con Escarole )

Ingredients:
    1 head of Escarole, chopped in 3 inch pieces.
    1 quarter Cup of EVOO
    1 - 15.5 oz. Can of Bush�s Cannelline Beans ( White Kidney Beans. )
    1 Tomato chopped and Micro Waved 2 minutes.
    Three quarters cup of Ham Pieces
    One half teaspoon of Garlic Powder and Onion Powder

Sautee the Escarole in the EVOO ,
    along with the Garlic and Onion Powder, until softened.

Meanwhile:
    Dump the can of Beans in a small pot, add the nuked tomatoes and
    the Ham pieces , Simmer until the Escarole is ready.

Mix everything together. Taste test for Salt and Spices.
    We had this with Garlic Bread for dipping.

• lindac
    12 years ago

It's not ham....it's fresh pork.

• caliloo
    12 years ago

I would make the following, after stripping off the chewy skin. I think it would lend itself to almost any roast pork shoulder type recipe. Of course, adjust the cooking time for the weight difference.

Balsamic Rosemary Pork with Roasted Potatoes

Ingredients:
    5 lb pork shoulder
    1/2 cups fresh rosemary
    12 cloves garlic
    3 tablespoons olive oil
    2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
    1 teaspoon salt
    2 teaspoons black pepper
    2 1/2 pounds small red potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch wedges

Cooking Directions:

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
    In a food processor, combine rosemary leaves, garlic, oil, vinegar, salt, and pepper and pulse to make a coarse, wet paste, scraping down the bowl as necessary. Spread 3/4 paste on all sides of roast. Place roast, fat side up, in shallow roasting pan large enough to hold roast with 3 inches room around all sides. Roast 15 minutes.
    Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine potatoes and remaining paste.

Reduce oven to 350 degrees F. Roast for 45 minutes. Add potato mixture to pan, arranging potatoes around roast. Continue roasting additional 45 minutes, tossing potatoes halfway through, or until internal temperature of roast reaches 145 degrees F and potatoes are tender. (If roast is done before potatoes, transfer it to a cutting board and return roasting pan with potatoes to oven.)
    Remove roast from oven and let rest 10 minutes. Slice roast and arrange on platter. Surround with potatoes and serve.
    Yield: 8 to 10 servings
    Serving Suggestions:
    Serve with Beet, Walnut, and Blue Cheese Salad and steamed sugar snap peas.
    Nutrition:
    Calories: 400 calories
    Protein: 33 grams
    Fat: 17 grams
    Sodium: 370 milligrams
    Cholesterol: 90 milligrams
    Saturated Fat: 5 grams
    Carbohydrates: 26 grams
    Fiber: 4 grams

Random Tip:
    Don't overcook your pork!

• seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    12 years ago

Oh, Lou - the Fagiolo con Escarole looks soooo delicious!! I'm going to try that myself.

Ruthanna - here's a recipe I copied from a food blog for a Sicilian ragu that's on my short list to try:

Sicilian Pork and Sausage Ragu (adapted from Fine Cooking)
    "Makes lots - I'd say serves around 8 people" says the blogger:

2 T canola oil
    2 pounds boneless pork shoulder (or 2-3/4 pounds bone-in pork shoulder)
    Fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
    2 cups chopped yellow onion (from one medium onion)
    3 medium cloves garlic, minced
    1 cup dry red wine
    24 ounces strained tomatoes or tomato pur�e (such as Pomi tomatoes)
    3 dried bay leaves
    1/2 pound sweet Italian pork sausage

1. Heat the oil in a 5- to 6-quart Dutch oven over medium-high heat until shimmering. Season the pork with salt and pepper on both sides, and then sear the meat on both sides until browned, 3-4 minutes per side. Transfer pork to a platter.
    2. Reduce heat to medium-low and add the onion. Cook a few minutes, stirring frequently, and then add the garlic. Cook, continuing to stir frequently, until soft and translucent, 7-8 minutes.
    3. Return pork to the pot, raise heat to medium high, and add the wine. Let bubble for a couple of minutes, and then add the tomatoes and bay leaves. Bring to a boil, and then reduce to a simmer.
    4. Remove the sausage from casings if it is in links, and break the meat apart over the pot, letting it fall into the sauce. Cover and simmer gently, adjusting heat as necessary, for 30 minutes.
    5. Uncover and turn the pork over, then recover and continue to simmer for about 1-1/2 hours until very tender, turning the meat once or twice more.
    6. Transfer pork to a cutting board and let cool for a few minutes. Use two forks to shred the meat and then return it to the sauce. Cook over low heat until heated through, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
    Serve over pasta or polenta.

seagrass

• hawk307
    12 years ago

MY LAST WISH !!!

I wish LindaC would stop correcting things that are OK.

Ruthanna:
    The leftover Pork can be subbed for Ham.

I sent the recipe twice.
    LOU

• centralcacyclist
    12 years ago

Alexa, that recipe looks delicious.

• KatieC
    12 years ago

Yummy sounding recipes and great timing. I have to call in cutting instructions for our pig next week. We still have some smoked hocks in the freezer...think I'll have them left fresh this time. I've never done anything with them other than ham hocks and beans.

• John Liu
    12 years ago

I would like my skin carefully removed, cut into squares, briefly simmered, then fried into chicharrones. Oink.

• Islay_Corbel
    12 years ago

John, dare I say anything? hahaha

• John Liu
    12 years ago

"Oink" says it all :-)

• countryham
    12 years ago

Lou you are such a cry baby!!! Im with Linda on this one...

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    12 years ago

Yes, Crackling with the skin.

I make Chinese roasted pork with this cut of pork.

Do you or do you know someone who has a table saw? Wrap the bone in plastic and cut it into smaller sections for making stock or bone marrow. Cuts very easy on a table saw.

dcarch

• jessyf
    12 years ago

Ruthanna, very creative way of asking for ideas. +1!

As to wishes...

I wish Lou would use apostrophes instead of dashes for his contractions (j/k! LOL! Could not resist! DARFC!)

• gardengrl
    12 years ago

Mmmmmm....sweet piggy, you would be perfect if made into Alexa's Cantonese Barbecue Pork. Think of these sweet, glazed strips of roast pork as the ham of Asia.

Cantonese Barbecue Pork

3 To 3 1/2 pounds pork butt shoulder or tenderloin
    4 tb Soy sauce
    5 tb Sugar
    3 tb Honey
    2 tb Hoisin sauce
    1 tb Grated fresh ginger
    1 tb Shao Hsing rice wine or dry sherry
    1 1/2 ts Salt
    Mustard Dip (recipe follows)
    3 tb Toasted sesame seeds

Remove and discard the excess fat from the pork. Cut pork lengthwise (with the grain) into 2-inch wide strips 5 to 6 inches long. Put into a large bowl.

Combine soy sauces, sugar, honey, hoisin, ginger, wine and salt. Pour over meat and rub it in well. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator at least overnight or for up to 3 days, turning several times.

Preheat the oven to 350F.

Place the pork strips on a broiler pan lined with foil. Roast for 30 minutes, turning once halfway through. Increase the heat to 425F and roast for 10 minutes longer. Let cool before slicing.

To serve, cut across the grain into 1/4-inch thick slices. Serve with mustard and sesame seeds for dipping.

MUSTARD DIP:

Mix together 2 tablespoons Colman's mustard, 2 tablespoons water, pinch of salt, pinch of sugar and a few drops of oil.

• hawk307
    12 years ago

Countryham:
    Thank You very much !!!
    What about the other 200.

Jessy:
    Every time I used apostrophies, I've gotten a jumbled up mess.
    Maybe it has stopped now.

You would be better served, finding more double meanings,
    to the Posts.

(j/k!LOL Could not resist! DARFC!)

LOU

• lindac
    12 years ago

Now Now, Lou! you know everyone loves you and all your recipes!
    (j/k!LOL Could not resist! DARFC!)

• ruthanna_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I wish that pig would have discretely said something to me instead of splashing my cooking doldrums all over the internet but I will try to accommodate his wish and those of his buddies by using your great ideas and recipes.

Fresh pork hocks are usually $1.49/lb. so I can afford to experiment all winter.

DH and I are going to be out most of the afternoon watching the raptor migration so I did the garlic slits as Coconut suggested and will put it in the oven on low heat with a Chinese star anise sauce before we leave.

Thanks for the inspiration.

• hawk307
    12 years ago

Ruthanna:
    Coconuts Recipe sounds simple enough and good.

You had a great day for Rapture watching hope it was sucessfull.

Do you go to Kempton ( Hawk Mountain )?

My Daughter and I drove around for 2 hours taking pictures of the scenery and animals.

Good night everyone,
    Lou

• paprikash
    12 years ago

Thank you Teresa NC7 -- I made your Country Pork Ribs and Sauerkraut tonight and it was delicious and a keeper for us. I don't have a pressure cooker so I baked it in a slow oven for a couple of hours and it was perfect. The only thing DH said I should do different is use more sauerkraut next time -- the man loves sauerkraut! Normally, I pair smoked sausage with sauerkraut and barbeque sauce with country ribs so this was a nice change for us.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor