SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kyo_san

Responce to Phyllis (Vegetarianism and Children)

Kyo_San
22 years ago

Hi Phyllis.

First of all I'd like to point out that I'm not a parent yet, but am going through the adoption process. It will probably be about a year before my wife and I have our little girl from China.

You said:

My only concern is that maybe telling a three year old that Hamburgers are "made from a dead cow" might be using scare tactics. I know this is the truth, but at three years old children have very different perceptions of the way things are than adults. (Read the post "Death, God and MOnsters") I can remember thinking things as a child and being afraid, and as an adult remembered how I perceived these seemingly ordinary things as a kid.

I'm not sure what you mean by scare tactics. Purhaps you mean that my daughter might have strong feelings and feel very sorry for the animals that are slaughtered. I hope she does feel that way. I hope she has empathy for all sentient beings including farm animals. There are some that frown upon teaching children values that are unconventional in the society they live in. But, I think that instead of trying to make children fit the mold, it's better to try to promote in children the best values possible (in the parents judgement) and at the same time give them the: skills, self confidence and wisdom to happily live with others that don't share all their views.

You also said:

I also disagree with the poster who said that children basically are forced to eat whatever's on their plate. This may be true with some, whose parents have no respect for their kids; but I think most parents realize their children may not like a particular product and don't even bother trying to feed it to them.

You misunderstood what I said. I didn't mean that children are forced to eat every item served. I meant that families don't serve their children every type of food that exists. They serve their children certain foods only and some families serve a greater variety of different foods.

There are many items I now eat that I was never served as a child. To name a few, I now eat: mangos, persimmons, tofu, yogurt, seitan, pineapple, garbanzo beans, adzuki beans, sweet rice and jasmine rice. Even though I don't eat meat, I now eat a larger variety of different foods than I ate as a child (when I ate meat). My parents weren't familiar with these foods and didn't serve them. After moving out on my own I discovered many new foods.

Comments (34)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County