SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
believer_gw

Gearing up for important meeting a school....DS

believer
15 years ago

I've posted before about my DS16 and his struggles in school because he has dyslexia and other learning disabilities. He is in private school which we pay dearly for and also has an academic coach, which we also pay for.

The coach is less than we paid for his full special ed. program. He has been in this school since 6th grade and is now a Jr.

I have a tutor for him in Geometry. She is very experienced in working with students that have learning issues. She has been advising his teacher at school on what she has observed is the best way to teach him. That involves time of day, length of assigns and so on. He had a test in glass that he did not finish. A couple of days went by and his teacher approached him after school and told him that she wanted him to finish the test NOW. He told her that he was really spent after the day at school and it would be better for him to finish it earlier in the day. She was very blunt about it and said basically..."No, you will finish it now."....DS son asked her to call his tutor and teacher said "No. This does not involve her. It is your responsibility."......He called me....I told him not to finish the test.

The Principal told DS that he felt that DS needed to be more respectful to teacher. After speaking with the tutor and having her suggest that I pull him out of the class and have her finish teaching him for the year I called and left a voice mail for the Principal. Thus a meeting scheduled for Monday after school.

I am prepared to pull him out school on that day and have him start at a public school. He was going to do that next year but I am soooo tired of dealing with teachers that refuse to educate themselves on his situation. Even with the advice of his tutor and his coach this teacher won't "get it".

I emailed the coach, detailing the situation and asking her to come to the meeting with all of DS's paperwork and evaluations and anything that I would need should Monday be his last day. She is ticked at the teacher and not understanding what is up with Principal since my DS's learning situation is well documented and other teacher's have been happy to work with him. This is his first year without an IEP. He tested to highly on the years final tests to qualify for and IEP. It puts him in a tricky situation. He has a high IQ but his dyslexia and other issues make it difficult for him to get everything he knows out on paper.

I am venting. I have decided that at 3rd quarter since this teacher is still not willing to get on board with things and the Principal will not allow our tutor to teach DS the rest of the year we are walking out and I am finished. This kid has fought everyday since he was 5 years old to get through his jumbled up brain. It is time, IMO, that he have things his way. School for him has been a nightmare for both of us.

SD10 is also at this school and will remain there. I am hoping to be able to conduct myself in a controlled manner while still having standing firm on my convictions and expressing my displeasure with the whole thing. I feel that since we have paid so much in tuition over the years and since DS has been in the "Discover Program" since 6th grade that we should not have to deal with this any longer. This teacher has had her last chance. I have witnessed disrespectful teacher before and do not like the fact that students seem to always get marked as the bad guys. DS had a teacher here once call him a "wimp" in front of the class. I told the teacher that he would lose the respect of my son and he would not be able to reach him if he had that attitude as a teacher. Besides, I would not tolerate that type of treatment. The teacher promptly apologized to my son in front of the entire class. He went on to be one of my son's all time favorites.....again....venting....sorry.

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath