SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
acomom_gw

How consisent should finish be on KraftMaid Kaffe Cherry cabs?

acomom
16 years ago

Hi everyone,

I used to hang out here a lot when I was doing my kitchen remodel about three years ago - now we've moved on to the master bathroom!

We've been thrilled with progress on the bathroom so far, until the cabinets were installed yesterday. We ordered KraftMaid cherry cabinets in the Mandloay door style, with the very dark brown Kaffe finish. This is considered a "premium" finish, so we paid a little more for it. Well, there are some very (not just slightly) obvious darker "stripes" of wood on both ends of nearly all (although not 100%)of the drawer fronts, and on many of the end pieces of the door fronts. I understand that with natural wood, you're going to have natural variation - and that's just fine. But this is so obvious that it truly looks striped. It's almost as if they used a different wood species or stain for the end pieces (you can see how they're attached via dovetailing to the primary surfaces), because the wood clearly just accepted the stain so differently.

My GC took pictures and told me that he'll try to go back to KraftMaid, but he thinks their response will simply be that this is how it is with natural wood, and that even if we re-ordered the cabinets, we would get largely the same result.

What do you guys think? Am I off-base, or is there a case to be made for getting them to replace the problematic doors and drawers with a more consistent finish? (Realizing you have no photos to refer to - I may try to post some later). I'd especailly appreciate your two cents if you have any experience with KraftMaid's darker cherry finishes, especially Kaffe.

I guess I'm a little spoiled because we splurged on fully custom cherry cabinets in our kitchen (albeit in a somewhat lighter finish), all grain matched. And they are truly spectacular. We were trying to save a little money in the bathroom, and the door samples we looked at showed no signs of inconsistent staining or finish. I know you get what you pay for, but the KraftMaid cabinets were also not exactly what I'd call cheap.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Comments (11)