SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beekeeperswife_gw

tile giveaway--update--bad news

beekeeperswife
13 years ago

The voting ends on the 25th. Somehow the bar entry is going crazy. I'm thinking there are free drinks being offered for a vote!

If you haven't voted, and would like to do so, or if you want to vote again from maybe another computer or your nook or your iPhone, etc. Please feel free.

Not sure I can compete with whatever is being offered in that bar! And do you think they realize how little 30 sq feet of tile really is?

(again, click button by Karen V, then scroll down and find the word "vote", it does not appear to be a hyperlink/button, but if you click it, it is supposed to work. If your vote doesn't count, you can leave a comment at the bottom, so they see you tried to vote) Thanks all!

Here is a link that might be useful: vote here, if you like!

Comments (56)

• joyjoyjoy
    13 years ago

I voted, cleared cookies and voted again but the numbers didn't change. You are in the lead though!!

• research_queen
    13 years ago

I was able to vote again too! I'll try again tomorrow too.

• Related Discussions

Bill ?? I don't like my new tiled floor - re-tile?

Q

Comments (1)
    He SHOULD be able to do it so it looks like the original installation. As for how happy he'll be about it (read that to say how much he'll charge you for it), I couldn't tell you, and of course, you'd have to know that before you can tell whether or not it's worth it. Wouldn't hurt to ask.
    ...See More

installing new ceramic tiles over existing cracked tiles in kitchen

Q

Comments (7)
    Please don't. It is SOOO wrong. Even if the tiles were PERFECTLY INTACT (which they aren't) this is considered a "poor man's tile install". Tile over tile is *possible, but it is NOT considered 'best building practices'. The old tiles cracked for a REASON. If he lays over top, he is giving it MORE REASON to crack...not less. And the cracked tiles will wiggle loose - sooner rather than later. And that means you must redo all the work that should NOT have been done in the first place. Please don't let this happen. As the homeowner you are the GC. What you say, goes. Please pay him to remove everything and start again - properly - with crack suppression membranes and everything. Be aware that this will probably require a new quote with a new, higher, price tag.
    ...See More

Need to get new tiles without removing old tiles.

Q

Comments (10)
    I see a problem even if most of the remaining tiles were removed. What about the tiles under the shower? Not exactly easy to cut flush or cut with a decent edge(top layer chipping). The problems with merging different tiles will be visual and height. No matter what you do, the result will be odd. Or odder, depending on color/type of tile used. Matching the height of the new tile to the old is not difficult, unless the new tile is much thinner. So, when Googling, use the thickness of the old tile to start. The design is not something others can help with without seeing the rest of the room and the tiles available. This situation is not a usual one.
    ...See More

How to compliment existing tile floors with new tile?

Q

Comments (1)
    Here are more photos of the bedroom and living room and my current samples next to the bathroom floors
    ...See More
  • marthavila
    13 years ago

I voted again and commented in your favor, this time. Will vote for you again later 2night. Obviously Shandi H has supporters working in her favor. BUT, they will not beat the GW TKOs!

• cjc123
    13 years ago

voted! good luck! ;-)

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    13 years ago

marthavila, I just read your comment, you are hysterical.

Thanks guys....If I could get my additional votes to register I would certainly be doing it, but even with clearing cookies, etc, I can't get any other votes to register! Could Mr. Beekeeper have installed a Firewall so strong that I can't break through on our network here at the hive?

bzzzzzz

• User
    13 years ago

I can't find a vote button at all.

• Stacey Collins
    13 years ago

I cleared cookies and can't vote again, either. I'm on a Mac, maybe there's a difference? Anyway, I hope you win. My daughter once entered a video-book-review contest sponsored by a library association. We thought it was judged on actual achievement (and she did a brilliant job) but then she found out it was an online-vote popularity contest. She'd done 2 videos, one a really well-thought-out one with full script and costumes and backgrounds, and the second was a sort of throw-away one about chickens. The better one got voted on first, and it was clear the other kid's school was having whole classes of students vote. Their video was AWFUL but it won. For the next one -the chicken one- she told everyone on a chicken forum she frequented about it. It was a lovely community (like this one!) and everyone voted for her, so she won. It kinda bummed me out, since the really deserving one she made didn't win, but she did win a bunch of free books for herself and for her local library. Anyway---- if I could vote more for you I would. Good luck!
    Stacey

• stacieann63
    13 years ago

I was allowed to vote again. I wonder if you are able to cast 1 vote each day.
    Good luck.

• kiffgirl
    13 years ago

I just voted - you're in the lead. I'll vote again from work tomorrow. That bar can't hold a candle to what us GWers can do!

• brenjun
    13 years ago

I just voted for you. The tile is fabulous.

• purplepansies
    13 years ago

Voted from my work laptop, will try my home computer again today. Still in the lead!

• pinch_me
    13 years ago

marti8a, at the bottom of the column of contestants is an ugly brown box. The word VOTE is there in black type. It doesn't look like anything other than text but if you mark Karen's circle and then click the VOTE you will have voted for her.

• jenny1963
    13 years ago

Wow, what a coincidence! I JUST learned about Mission Tile, etc. today from the KitchenLab! I'd gone to their site, and fell in love. Then, hours elapsed, and...I just now learned about this competition and voted for you, Karen. You have a gorgeous kitchen, too, btw! Good luck! I'll vote everyday! Sorry for the dodgy writing. I've had a bit too much Chinese food and wine.

• Lezli
    13 years ago

Voted! Will vote again tomorrow!

• homeagain
    13 years ago

Just voted again. You're up by 5!

• noellabelle
    13 years ago

just voted again...good luck!

• ironcook
    13 years ago

voted! you're up by 6!

• jeri
    13 years ago

I just voted from both of my home computers, not sure either one took! I didn't look before my first vote - after it was 307 which is up by 6 just as IronCook noted - Coincidence? I then jumped to my other computer and voted and it also says 307 - hmmmmmmmm

• oldhouse1
    13 years ago

I would love to vote for you, but where or where is the vote button? I have been up and down the page and I can't find it? Feeling rather stupid.

• Buehl
    13 years ago

The "Vote" is not a button, it's a link beneath the last entry. It looks like you're voting for the last entry, but as long as you've clicked the "Karen V" radio button, it's supposed to count for her.

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    13 years ago

jeri, I feel your pain! I can never see the vote count jump when I try. Did you leave a message on the page with the results? I've seen people doing that, you know, "hey I voted for Karen V and your count didn't change, please make sure to add that vote".

Well, I'm back in the lead thanks to GW, although I'm sure that today must be 1/2 price wing day at the bar and they are offering free beer if you vote. arghhhh

Thanks again!

• idrive65
    13 years ago

Voted! BKW, is that your kitchen on their page for the arabesque tile? They should bump you up for making their tile look so good!

• Christine Clemens
    13 years ago

Done. Keep us posted if you fall behind the lead.

• allison0704
    13 years ago

I"m on a Mac and it won't let me vote again - maybe if I wait 24 hours? Will try on DH laptop in a bit.

• kngwd
    13 years ago

I just voted from home, and voted from work last week! I'll try again tomorrow! Good luck!

• oldhouse1
    13 years ago

Done! Good Luck Karen

• baligirl
    13 years ago

I just voted but you're down by a few...

• ghostlyvision
    13 years ago

I voted (it was 430 to 408, the bar ahead).

BTW I love that tile!

• missmuffet
    13 years ago

We'll keep trying! Good luck.

• fourkids4us
    13 years ago

I just gave you three new votes - one from my iPad, one from my desktop, and one from my kids' laptop. If dh gets home soon, I'll vote from his laptop too! Hmm, maybe I should try dd's touch. Of course, shandy's votes increased by two in the time I spent adding my three votes. Darn it, you are still down by about 20 votes.

• research_queen
    13 years ago

Just voted again. Shandi H is just ahead of you. Hopefully enough of us will vote for you to put you back in the lead :)

• pinch_me
    13 years ago

Have you noticed, Shandi is always ahead. Check her numbers before you vote, check both numbers after you vote. Check the total votes cast on the first page. Something's not right. I voted three times tonight on two computers. Shandi got 6 votes, Karen none. Where did they go? I smell something rotten.

• aliris19
    13 years ago

I voted too but don't see them counting... Karen, I think you might have to give this one up. They are beautiful....

• fourkids4us
    13 years ago

Pinch me, I voted three times last night and noticed that karen's votes went up but sordid shandi's when I checked immediately after. I just voted once again and karen's tally remained the same but shandi's went up by one. I wonder if there is a glitch in their system. :(

• chatty3867
    13 years ago

I voted. Tried again the next day after clearing cache & cookies..It wouldn't let me vote again.
    As for the possible glitch in their system..I would contact them and bring it to their attention. NOT FAIR!
    Good Luck!

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Pinchme, I saw your comments on the results page. Thanks. The comments coming from the bar's patrons are a bit odd in my opinion. I mean, when was the last time you were in a bar, looked behind the bar (where Shandi says it will go) and admired the tile and asked where to buy it? Maybe it's the free drinks talking?

I really wonder if something is wrong with the system. I truly do not believe there would not be anything dishonest being done by Mission Stone.

My suggestion is if you vote and see that it didn't count for me, and/or it increased Shandi's votes (and yet the Total # Votes only changed by 1 (meaning someone didn't simultaneously vote for Shandi) then I would certainly post that in the comments for the moderator to see.

I did send an email to Mission Stone today pointing out that there are a lot of comments about votes not registering. If I recall, earlier they said that if your vote wouldn't post, to record it there and they would add it in to the total.

Thanks to all, this is just exhausting and unless whatever is wrong is corrected there is no way to get ahead. Besides GW, I have a lot of people casting votes and I'm not seeing the results.

• marthavila
    13 years ago

Although I'm not 100% sure of this, I do believe that, if you check the vote tally before you actually vote, just the act of going to that page registers you as having voted! It's happened a couple of times now that, when I check the tally first, and then go back to vote, the system tells me I have already voted. But, of course, I haven't and, as a result, no vote change is recorded. However, when I vote first and then check the tally, I see the vote change in Karen V's favor. My suggestion is that you vote first and then check the tally. Hope that makes sense.

• Mimou-GW
    13 years ago

Looks like they are getting a bigger lead. I have emailed a few friends and tried to rouse another gw forum. Maybe I can get my teen to put it on Facebook and ask his friends to vote? I don't know if they would respond or not. I hope more folks rally for you!
    Nan

• ironcook
    13 years ago

voted... you are only 25 behind... certainly doable!!!

keep heart! i'll get hubby and his coworkers to vote. :)

• aliris19
    13 years ago

Wow; that's worth checking in on ... on each of the four computers here perhaps?

• doggonegardener
    13 years ago

I voted a few days ago when this thread originally popped up. I did look at the tallies first and noted the numbers for Karen and the bar. They were the same that day. When I voted I checked IMMEDIATELY again and my vote had been tallied but so had a vote for the bar. I find it really odd that on a given day in a not largely publicized thing that a vote was cast for the bar at the exact moment I cast a vote for Karen. I'm NOT SAYING ANYONE IS DOING ANYTHING SHADY>>>just think maybe the counter is doing something funky?

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I just wanted to say thanks to all of you who are still taking the time to vote. And to those of you who have said such nice things in the comments on the "results page".

As you may have seen, it seems to have turned slightly ugly. Unless there is some sort of "tile miracle" I don't expect to win. I find it unfortunate that a lot of votes are not being counted, or possibly something is wrong with the counter. Again, if your vote isn't counted, leave a comment about that in the comments section, right below where the results are posted.

It sounds like the woman who is "redesigning the bar" for her fiancee's family is pretty determined to get this tile. (Which is another topic completely) I think it would be nice to win it, I think it would look great in my laundry room, but if I don't win it, my backup plan will still be great--to extend the cork into the laundry room as originally planned.

If you want to try and keep voting, great. I would love to win and "show Shandi H that the power of GW is not to be taken lightly".

Again, thanks to all.

• craftlady07
    13 years ago

I didn't take the time to read the comments (didn't know that it had turned ugly) but I did just vote again. down by 34 votes. That's not a lot, I think you still have a good chance!!

• kevinw1
    13 years ago

OK, I am very curious: how is it that everyone thinks vote-stuffing like this is OK?

• ironcook
    13 years ago

@kevinw1... actually, i'm not sure it is okay one way or another. there are no rules posted. a lot of these types of contests allow people to vote once per day, but there are no rules.

that's probably why it's gotten ugly. :(

and a lot of people's votes don't seem to register.

badly handled contest, i think.

• ironcook
    13 years ago

@kevinw1: but i don't think asking as many people as possible to vote is "vote stuffing". isn't that like a voter registration drive at election time?

i'm linking to the comments section BUT DON'T VISIT THIS PAGE IF YOU INTEND TO VOTE!!! It may prevent your vote from being counted.

you will automatically go to the page after you vote.

Here is a link that might be useful: Results Page with Comments

• ghostlyvision
    13 years ago

How is it 'vote-stuffing' if the contest allows a person to vote once a day? Some folks can't get even one single vote to tabulate.

I'm sorry it's turned ugly over there, I hadn't looked at the comments either until today. I still hope you win, Bee!

• pinch_me
    13 years ago

It's so amazing that no matter what, she's ALWAYS ahead 24 votes. I bet it couldn't have been planned better than that.

• cindaintx
    13 years ago

"I voted three times last night and noticed that karen's votes went up but sordid shandi's when I checked immediately after "

"sordid shandi's" I know it's a typo, but funny. We don't *know* that she's sordid...it's just a bar.

• doggonegardener
    13 years ago

Cindaintx,

That's what it did when I voted the other day. I have tried to clear cookies and vote for Karen again to no avail. It won't let me cast a second vote. I don't think it's intentional, just weird and seemingly impossible that it's ACTUAL votes. The timing is too perfect.