SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hgluckman_gw

Templates laid out on granite

hgluckman
14 years ago

Our kitchen was templated on Wednesday. Today, we drove down to Denver (30 minutes from my office, and additional 30 minutes for DW to drive here from home to pick me up) to the fabricator to see how the templates would be placed on our Russian Sable slabs.

It was a bit of weird experience. We had an appointment, so I would have thought everything would be ready - silly me! First they had the slabs - in bright glarey sunshine - a couple of feet apart like this: \ /. You could barely walk between them much less see to have templates applied.

We asked them to move them out, and they did move one. Fortunately, since this was fairly inconvenient the Russian Sable doesn't have huge movement, but there were some areas we wanted to work around.

Here's the slab when we picked it out a while back at Arizona Tile:

From Kitchen Remodel

And here's the slab with our island templates, the upper template will be for the upper part of the island:

From Kitchen Remodel

I was expecting that they would have both pieces resting on a rack, and tape or somehow have the templates attached to the slabs. We did get to see what we wanted, but all-in-all was kind of strange.

Also, fortunately, DW brought up the sink reveal - we want flush or slightly positive. No one had thought to ask us, and I had forgotten to specify with the templater.

For those interested, I did get one picture of what I assume is a polishing machine - they had several large fabricating machines in use.

From Kitchen Remodel

One last bit of weirdness. Our GC had initially told us that he was going to use one fabricator. Then, just as we were getting the contract settled, he told us that fabricator was going out of business. However, two of the former employees of that business were starting a new company, and he went with them, and that's who came out to template.

When I asked the templater where the fabrication shop was, he had to look up the address to tell me. When we got down there, there was a different company name on the door, and it quickly became apparent that the guys who are selling us the fabrication are middlemen to the actual fabricator. Maybe this was the case all along, but it wasn't what I was led to believe. The good news is that the fabricator looks like they've got a good shop - certainly not cheap by the looks of the equipment, and the woman who was running things seemed to know what she was doing and understood what we wanted.

Hopefully, in a week or so, all of these crazy people will be out of our lives.

Comments (6)