SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
teresa_nc7

Oct. 3 - Perfect weather for market day

teresa_nc7
14 years ago

Today was a perfect October day at the market -- Carolina blue sky, mild temps, gentle cool breeze. It was a good thing I arrived at 7:15 AM to set up early-early, because we had some extra vendors from Mebane and Hillsborough whose local markets have closed for the season.

This week I made a total of 15 loaves to sell: Egg Braid (challah), Amish Wheat, Sourdough, 100% Whole Wheat and one loaf of Harvest Grain (Struan). I came home with two loaves and gave one loaf to my friend the Chicken Lady to thank her for picking up two 25# bags of flour for me. Even though I had 3 extra loaves than the previous weeks, I still only sold 10 loaves and I stayed until 12 noon today. So maybe 10 loaves is about the limit that will sell each market?

It never fails that one person wants sweet rolls if you don't have any, or whole wheat if you are sold out. But I think I will try to make extra whole wheat anyway. All three of the egg braids sold -- they looked beautiful and the recipe I used was a good one. Those were $1 more per loaf because of the eggs used. I've changed the name on a couple of breads just to make them easier for folks to remember.

Today I met Addie set up beside me who bakes cakes and bars, a sweet lady. She gave me a discount on the date bar I bought from her -- it was very good. Another vendor gave me a free bag of jalapenos and I bought a $1 bag of fresh dug potatoes from them.

Next week I will be off to a quilt retreat, so no market day for me -- which was timed just right. The town has a Fall Festival next week when they close traffic on Main St. and have lots of vendors on both sides of the street. You have to sign up and pay for the privilege of staying all day to sell. That would not work for me.

I think I will miss my new friends when the market ends in mid November. There is a nice feeling of camaraderie at this market.

note: I made a new sign: "Teresa's Daily Bread

From my hands to your table ~ made with all natural, wholesome ingredients"

Teresa

Comments (9)