A picture of the paper sonobe cube that I made...

FlamingO in AR

is here.

The paper is Hallmark's, from this year. I had a really hard time finding 3 that coordinated that worked up well, any one need some wrapping paper in horrible stripes of orange, yellow, green, red and purple on a silver background? lolol

And yes, I cut out 150-5 7/8" squares of paper, I love my Fiskars cutter!

Here is a link that might be useful:

SaveComment6Like
Comments (6)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Tiger_SunnyFla

I think I'll "pass" on the paper, Flame....Hehehehe! The cube is fabulous!!!!! Are they hard? Love the wire and bead embellishments...they really "make" the cubes, don't they!? Thanx for sharing!!!
Tiger

Save    
ArtsyCraftsy

It really turned out great!! Love the curly swirly at the top! Definitely the worst part is cutting the paper. I use a cheap Boston papercutter that is not properly squared, and have to fudge my folding a little.
When I did these with my 4th grade students, all we had was the plain foil paper in blue, red, green, gold & orange. They looked awesome! We covered a whole tree in them for the school lobby. Then I got scolded cause the teachers would catch kids folding cubes in class...ruh-roh!
Actually that paper looks cool...like I need to go buy any more wrapping paper than I already own, lol!

Save    
FlamingO in AR

Thanks,Tiger. These are not hard to do at all. I did them in an assembly line fashion, and when I had 150 parallelagrams (sp) I assembled them into the cubes. It was great that I could do them while I was at work, and the bone folder really saved my fingers, since each piece of paper has about 9 folds to it....

Thanks Karen, I was really pleased with how they turned out, too. I couldn't have done it without you!

Save    
Lia_SC

Great job! They are impressive looking! Are these the same thing as "water balloons"? My boys were hooked on making those at one time. I need to do some paper Christmas ornaments; I think I have everything else on the tree!
Maybe Karen will host an ornament swap for us here for next Christmas??? (hint, hint, hint!)

Save    
FlamingO in AR

Lia, these are different from water balloons. These are made up of 6 pieces of paper to a cube. They are folded seperately and then tucked together to make the cube. That way using 3 different papers makes it very attractive.

That said, I think a tree loaded with the little water balloons in pretty paper with beads and tassels would be adorable! Another good idea!

Save    
herbabuena

I went to a friend's house two weeks ago and we made a bunch of stellated octahedra and waterbombs out of wrapping paper, and hung 'em on her ficus in the living room that drops leaves every winter. They look pretty good; I actually liked the waterbombs on the tree more than the octahedra.

Those tiny mass-market wire ornament hangers came in really handy, and a needle for poking the ornament to put the wire through. It took about an hour or so to make 50 of 'em. Even her picky 16-year-old niece deigns to call them "cool." Which is saying a lot. :-)

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Small Spaces Small-Space Ideas Unfold in Origami-Like Cube Loft
A redesigned studio in the Charles Moore–Arthur Andersson architectural compound in Austin, Texas, makes the most of its snug size
Full Story
Kitchen Design Kitchen Details: Out-of-Sight Paper Towel Holder
See how some homeowners are clearing the counter of clutter while keeping this necessity close at hand
Full Story
Loudoun Interiors is not always about starting with a blank slate or purchasing everything new....it's also about... Read More
Since 2013, we’ve helped VA, DC, and MD homeowners remodel their kitchens, baths, and home. Our award-winning... Read More