Making a Japanese Folding Screen

tangerine_z6

Hi. I'd like to make a folding screen of the sort that you see in Japanese restaurants. I have located rolls of inexpensive Unryu fiber rice paper that can be used in the panels. Now, I need to find suggestions or instructions for building the frame itself. Do you have any pointers for me? Thanks.

SaveComment3Like
Comments (3)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Red_Confetti

Sounds like it will be very nice, Tangerine!

Here is a link to "how to make a folding screen" at the Waverly fabrics site. Of course, you'll be using your rice paper instead of fabric, but the instructions do tell you how to make the wooden part.

The link below is to the rest of the hits on the Google search where I found the Waverly site.

Here is a link that might be useful: Google: how to make a folding screen

Save    
tangerine_z6

Red Confetti, Those are just what I was looking for. Thanks so much for posting, now I can figure out how to build what I want.

Save    
minnie_tx

I think so much can be done with a folding screen and I admire you for making one.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Architecture Design Workshop: How the Japanese Porch Makes a Home Feel Larger
The Japanese ‘engawa,’ a roofed transitional zone and social space, blurs the lines between indoors and out
Full Story
Shop Houzz Shop Houzz: Modern Japanese Decor
By Houzz
Take style cues from Japan with silk pillows, folding screens and other artistic finds
See Products
Design Solution: Japanese Shoji Screens
See How Light-Filled Shojis Create Serene Spaces for Modern Homes
Full Story
For over 30 years we have been honored to be the first choice for backyard courts, greens, gymnasium flooring &... Read More
Pond Roofing Company is a family-owned and operated business serving Northern Virginia residents for nearly 50... Read More