*Friday Scavenger Hunt*- paper weaving

ArtsyCraftsy

This Friday's scavenger hunt was inspired by a class my stamp store is advertising. It is a type of paper weaving called "papuela". They sell templates you can use for this weaving, but I think it would not be too hard to make your own. So any paper weaving links are good- examples, projects or patterns.

on your mark, get set, go!

Karen

Here is a link that might be useful: papuela

SaveComment10Like
Comments (10)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ArtsyCraftsy

I like the tips on this link- especially for storing paper strips.

Here is a link that might be useful: cloud 9

Save    
ArtsyCraftsy

I forgot about this one.simple little woven heart-shaped baskets but the variations are awesome!

Here is a link that might be useful: Woven Paper Heart

Save    
herbabuena

Here are directions for weaving a fish out of tickertape (or ribbon).

And here are instructions for making a bird with similar techniques.

enjoy.

By the way, take a look at the rest of the tapefish's site, below. Thok is a far-out nut, whom I had the pleasure of meeting in person last summer in Denmark and the spring before that in CA.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thoki's Webpage

Save    
herbabuena

Oh yeah, and of course there's this site, which is more like origami than weaving, but incorporates weaving-like aspects...

Here is a link that might be useful: knotology

Save    
herbabuena

Oh yeah and another P.S. :-)

How about just weaving quilling strips of different colors and widths to get a Madras effect?

Whoops, looks like the cool people at Fascinating Folds got there ahead of me. Figures. hehe. (see below)

Here is a link that might be useful: weaving quilling strips

Save    
akaLia

That's funny, I was just at that icandream site y'day and I didn't see the one for the bird. I was going to post the fish one and the woven paper ball.

The site below has the bird I was going to post. The entire site is pretty cool!

Here is a link that might be useful: http://mystudio3d.tripod.com/birdweave.htm

Save    
ArtsyCraftsy

similar to knotology(very cool!). 2 very simple geometric forms.

Here is a link that might be useful: Weaving Paper Polyhedra

Save    
herbabuena

I found the bird diagram with google. Search engines can find pages that do not have links pointing to them.

This is the first time I've seen diagrams for the bird. I saw one once about 10 years ago and learned by reverse-engineering, but it's tough to show/explain to people what I'm doing, so I'm glad someone took the time to post instructions! :-o

Save    
Lia_SC

Bumping this up for Marie_TX
Glad it's still here; good stuff! :-)

Save    
Marie_TX

Artsy-C -- Thanks for the Danish sites. Really cool. I would not have described the woven heart exactly that way, but I can't offer an improvement right now. Need to think about it when I have time. -- Marie

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Christmas Gift Giving the Simple-ish Way
If buying holiday gifts drives you to the spiked holiday punch, try these easier but still rewarding traditions
Full Story
Holidays Surviving the Christmas Countdown: A Parent's Guide
Make things easier on yourself, for heaven's sake — and for the sake of truly enjoying the holiday with your family
Full Story
Living Rooms Room of the Day: An Artisan Renaissance
An Arts and Crafts living room in Oklahoma City gets restored to past glory
Full Story
Step into a Ferguson Showroom and you'll be surrounded by the latest styles in kitchen, bath and lighting design... Read More