The Swing - Moving Parts Greeting Card

Red_Confetti

I made this card for my Mom. She has Alzheimer's Disease so I try to make cards for her that "do" something.

I found a picture of a little girl swinging, and printed the picture along with a mirror image (to be used inside the card) on cardstock. I found a suitable poem ("The Swing" by Robert Louis Stevenson) and printed it along with a 'background' image on a separate piece of cardstock.

I carefully cut out both images of the little girl on the swingseat, and cut out around the tree. I lightly traced where the tree would be on the front of the card, and then cut out just inside the tracing. I cut out the mirror image tree print also, making that one shorter to accomodate the printing inside the card.

I used crewel yarn for the swing ropes, and carefully glued the two girl images together, then glued the tree images to the front and inside of the card. I used a large needle to help hang the swing.

SaveComment7Like
Comments (7)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
maryanntx

What a cute idea! I love it! And the poem is a perfect fit too.

Save    
minnie_tx

I have never seen one like it. It is fantastic!! And lots of hugs for MOM too!!

Save    
lorraine303

I love it - and you even hooked her hands around the "rope" just like she would be holding it - Great job! Thanks for sharing!

Save    
Red_Confetti

Thanks, MaryAnn, Minnie, and Lorraine. Although Mom hasn't recognized any relatives in years, she is still able to read. I don't know how much she understands of what she reads, but at least she still can read. Alzheimer's is such a mysterious (and devastating) disease.

Save    
heather_on

I love your card!

Have you tried making a card with a shaker box in it? If she likes moving things she would find that interesting too.

Save    
ReaderPhil

Another great card! I'm sure your mom will enjoy it and I think it could be a cute birthday card.

Save    
gluecille

Red your card is just beautiful. You do amazing work. I love it.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Life The Moving-Day Survival Kit: Lifesaving Items and Niceties
Gather these must-haves in advance for a smooth move and more comfortable first days in your new home
Full Story
Houzz Call: Show Us Your Original Holiday Card
Calling all designers! We want to see your original Christmas and Hanukkah card designs
Full Story
Life Time Travel to Houzzers' Childhood Homes, Part 1
Peek into home design's past and share the memories of Houzz community members with these personal photos and stories
Full Story
King Construction Company, LLC has been custom building all types of agricultural and accessory buildings for... Read More
At Bull Run Kitchen and Bath, we are dedicated to providing professional service and work hard to ensure that our... Read More