SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mommyto4boys_gw

Love to finish (X post dec. & long)

mommyto4boys
15 years ago

First off, I don't know how to resize photos, sorry for that annoyance. I haven't posted for awhile, but I'm desperate to get this kitchen finished. My original posts (1+ year ago) we were trying to figure out layout, keeping the corner pantry, and having a non-centered range hood etc. I'm thrilled that we did keep the large walk-in pantry-love-it (can't imagine not having that now). Our problem area in the kitchen was and still is the range hood.

I don't have my original inspiration picture. It had the custom hood cover (like mine) and basically the same layout. My inspiration picture had a much longer run of cabinets on the range wall. Again, I loss the space because I added the pantry. The inspiration picture had cabinets flanking the hood in varying heights and depthe and had trim work between the cabinets almost like columns/pillars. For some unknown reason when we changed the entire look of the cabinets (lack of room) it did not cross my mind to change the hood. Well, I should have made it different and smaller. Anyways, changing this now is NOT an option. The cabinets and backsplash are in and it will all stay. I do like the bones of it still, but need to oomph it up and finish it the best possible way to have it be the focal point it should be in our kitchen.

This picture shows the entire kitchen before finished to give an idea of colors, layout,etc.

{{gwi:1602677}}

Finally got our cabinet maker to add some trim and corbels and the backspash is completed...

{{gwi:1602678}}

I think it helps with the top recessed arch area to have some tile. The lower crown has a shelf on top that has not been painted yet. The two "columns" on each side showed crown on the inspiration picture too. We had it there too and it looked awful. The lower crown (ledge/shelf) and the crown that was to be on the two "columns" was supposed to wrap around and have mitered 45 angles just like the crown on-top of the hood at the ceiling. There is not room to make the return with the crown. So, what would you do now...

1-Tile guy (naturally says to tile the entire thing)

2-Take off the two "columns" and tile the upper half of the hood (above the shelf/ledge)

3-Remove columns and have cabinet guy make some raised panels to attach to front area

4-Paint and stain entire thing to look like island finish

(island is close to kraftmaids vanilla bean and our walls and hood currently are B'M's concord ivory, trim is BM's acadia)

5-Stain the crown to match the cabinets

I did just for pictures, for comparisons, etc threw a few items on the shelf and noticed it helped some to just have some color/items up there...

{{gwi:1671218}}

{{gwi:1602680}}

I'm open to any and all suggestions and help. I thank you so much in advance! If anyone would love to tacle some photo shop that would be ever so appreciated also. Thank you!!!!

Comments (26)

• rhome410
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

The thing that strikes me is that it seems odd that it matches the walls rather than cabinets. I think I would like it better if it was the color of the perimeter cabinets, but that's probably impossible (I don't think just having panels across the top would do it), so I think I vote for finishing it to match the island. It seems that color would better coordinate with the tile color, too. I think all tile would be awfully busy?

• dkitchenreno
    15 years ago

I've been lurking here for a couple of months now, as we are renovating our home with an emphasis on our kitchen. I have learned so much from this forum about layout and materials.

mommyto4boys, I love your kitchen. It is gorgeous. I only wish I had as much space to work with in my kitchen. I think your basic hood design is great. The columns look like they just kind of stop awkwardly. What I would do is bring the columns up to the ceiling, either elongating the detail trim on them or making two trim sections. Then I would make the crown molding at the ceiling go around those columns. On my computer at least, the color of the hood is not going well with both the tile and the cabinets. I would try to find a different color that complements all the other beautiful finishes in the kitchen (the granite, the tile, and the cabinets) -- maybe a warm darkish tan with a hint of the cherry color to it or maybe one of the deeper colors in the tile. I think this will be mostly trial and error till you find the right color. A completely different look might be a dark burgundy/red for the hood. This is mainly stream of consciousness, but if you did elongate the columns, you could then tile in between them, around the niche (kind of like below), and then just find a color that you like for the columns and the lower portion of the hood.

I hope some of these ideas might help a little. It is a truly beautiful kitchen.

• Related Discussions

Wainscoting height for my bathroom (x-post with Home Dec)

Q

Comments (5)
    Let me put it this way-- so long as there's no interference from light switch or plug covers, what you've got should be fine. Normal wainscot height can be anywhere from 42- 48". But I've seen wainscots as low as 36", and as high as 72".
    ...See More

White wall paint question--X-post in Home Dec

Q

Comments (2)
    Post over at the Home Decorating forum. Those folks are very savvy about color choices.
    ...See More

Not sure which way to turn. .H-E-L-P!! (long, sorry!) (x-post Hom

Q

Comments (9)
    Thanks to everyone for the advice and kind thoughts. . .greatly appreciated!! I contacted my insurance adjuster on the original roof claim. While they are very interested in the outcome, they indicated that this is an issue between me and the roofing company. . .totally separate from the original claim on the roof. But they did give me some pointers on working through the situation. A water remediation company coming out tomorrow to do an assessment (based on the recommendation of my adjuster) so I think that will give me some idea of the full extent of the damage and where we need to go from there. I have taken lots of pictures and won't let anyone touch anything until I'm satisfied the damage has been fully documented. Dedtired, my attitude not really as good as it sounds. . .but as the expression goes. ."it is what it is" and nothing can change that. . .and I'm hoping that be being patient and somewhat understanding, they (roofing company) will be willing to do a little more than if I landed in the middle of them with combat boots. Thank you all again. . .I'll let you know how it all turns out!
    ...See More

Shelf help needed (X-Post in Home Dec)

Q

Comments (8)
    I think it depends on what you intend to put on the shelf. If it's dishes you're going to need a hefty bracket system (and the shelf will be heavy itself, right: walnut?) Ikea's LACK shelves use a neat hidden bracket but they can't hold very heavy stuff like books. It's basically a wall plate with rods that stick out perpendicular to the wall and slip into holes in the shelf. Cool. Here are some other ideas: This guy set steel rods into the studs (no need to remove drywall or anything) and into the back of the shelves. He says they hold 150# I love how he wrapped the shelves around into the window frame area! http://www.ikeafans.com/forums/project-blogs/3659-its-finished-my-new-ikea-kitchen-pictures.html And here's more discussion on the same basic technique.. http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_base/Floating_Bookshelves_Without_Brackets.html Love to see pics of how this turns out!!!
    ...See More
  • amyms
    15 years ago

I would also vote for making look like your island. I think then it blend in nicely with the rest of the kithen.

• pbrisjar
    15 years ago

Those two upper boxes / columns should either go or be extended all the way to the top.

I'm not liking that shiny white crown moulding there.

This is probably just me and/or my monitor, but I do not like that paint with those tiles. They clash.

How about a faux finishing/venetian plaster technique - something like what igloochic has? Maybe sponge/glaze/something over the painted areas with a color that picks up the gorgeous color of your cabs. I'm feeling the old world vibe from the rest of your kitchen (which is very nice) but the hood just isn't doing that. I suspect some kind of finishing would help that out.

I kind of like the idea of painting it a nice burgundy but that may be more dark than what you'd like.
    It does look better with the accessories on it. I think that's because they have those warm red/browns in them.

• mommyto4boys
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I wish I could get my inspiration picture posted here. The range there was painted the same as the walls too. Also, the crown on the columns made it look so neat, but won't work on ours. Also, the paint color does seem to photograph too bright in the pictures. It really does look well with the other choices, though I agree here the backsplash does not look too swell with the paint color.

I'm so appreaciating the responses....please keep them coming!

If I match the hood to the island....

-keep the tile?
    -add some panels?
    -change the trim?

dlitchenreno-thanks for the comments and I think you have a great idea for the columns. They look bad as is now. Best wishes with your reno.

• remodelfla
    15 years ago

I think (and really... just think... not sure on this one) I'd paint the hood like the island. I'd change to trim to match the cabs. I choose the cab color for the hood trim as opposed to the paint color because I really feel the backsplash does not work well right on top of the paint as a focal point. It's fine where they meet on the wall. I"m not a huge fan or corbels right next to a cooktop since as a person pereference it would make me feel closed in. I'm not sure on the boxed out pieces with the picture molding trim. I think I might either bring them up to the top or get rid of them altogether. If I were to get rid of them; I might consider some kind of copper/metal/something to rev up the old world feel in the archway on the top of the hood. Maybe something to tie into the other metals in your kitchen? LOVE LOVE LOVE the lowered baking/prep area across from your cooktop and seagrass stools(?)... how cool!

• katiee511
    15 years ago

First, your cabinets, floors, accessories... all is just beautiful! But, I'll have to agree that "something" just seems out of place. I think the hood cover blends in and looks more like part of the wall since they are painted the same. Though your pantry door and trim look fine in white against the wall color, on the molding it is too stark. That's what stuck out the most to me. I definitely like the warmer tones, like the way it looked when you put some accessories up there.

I can't really tell what colors are in your granite, but have you thought of a copper look for the hood? Is the hood wood, something that can be stained? Or does it need to be painted? Are you planning to accessorise the shelf area? I think all those things would make it tie together.

Beautiful choices made all around. You must really enjoy your new kitchen!

• mom3suns
    15 years ago

I keep scrolling up and down to see your beautiful kitchen. With that said - I agree something is missing. The hood is lovely and has such presence in your kitchen yet something feels "off." I would NOT elongate the columns. I like them without the trim. I agree with pbrisjar. I think that venetian plaster would provide more visual interest to the hood - more old world. I would also find a decorative piece that echos the rich colors of your cabinetry and put it in the center of the arched area.

• slateberry
    15 years ago

I agree the paint, cabinets, and backsplash are fighting. I learned the hard way that beiges and yellows don't always (in fact, rarely) get along. Perhaps try posting to the decorating or paint forum, just asking for paint color suggestions? I sense that you really like the concord ivory (I have a friend with it in her family room and it is wonderful), but maybe you can find another room in your house for it?

I second other suggestions to paint the hood the color of the island.

• Buehl
    15 years ago

I really like your kitchen and am envious of your large corner pantry! The wood & counters look so rich!

Ideally, I think I'd stain it the color of the cabinets...but is it too late now?

I agree w/most everyone else that the columns aren't "right" the way they are now...I think they should be eliminated...not sure what to put in their place though...

Maybe someone can PhotoShop it for you?

• houseful
    15 years ago

It reminds me a little bit of my inspiraton photo.

I think your mantle should be the same color of the cabinets. Maybe replace the "columns" with doors to match your cabinets but make them go all the way up to the crown. Change the crown molding to match the cabinets. I agree that the yellow isn't quite right.

BUT!!! Overall, the kitchen is beautiful and very, very inviting!

• footballmom
    15 years ago

I don't have a decorators eye, but the thing that struck me immediately upon sing your photos was that I did not like the beigy tile and the yellow paint. It clashes. I like the tile and the cabinets with the granite and I like the paint color with the cabinets, but not the granite and the tile. I agree that the colomns seem incomplete and heavy with the paint and tile and really, it is the paint color itself that is really distracting to me.
    The kitchen is really beautiful, but I would experiment with a different wall paint color all together. I thin the hood would look better white, but still, the wall paint would seem off......Hummmmm.

• mommyto4boys
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the comments.

Houseful, if only I could snap my finger and have your inspiration picture be my actual finished project.

YES, it must be painted, it is all drywall except for the corbels (they are wood). I will definitely have more decorations.

I just feel so confused as if I ruined my kitchen, I could sit and cry over this:(

The backsplash seemed to be so much more cream than tan to me. In the pictures I see the tan fighting the paint color. In real life doesn't seem so much. I'm hoping changing the hood will be enough. I'm fairly married to the paint color....large open floor plan and everything has it's purpose IYKWIM!

Any photoshoppers out there willing to help save this mess?!

• pbrisjar
    15 years ago

mommyto4boys: Your kitchen is not ruined at all - it just needs a little fine-tuning. Changing out paint colors is the easy stuff.

• pbrisjar
    15 years ago

I showed this to Hubby as he's pretty darned good at knowing how to get things back in balance (makes him a really good chiropractor). His main comment is that it looks too "fat" and sticks out too much. Eliminate some of the horizontal lines, take out the bottom corbels and add some vertical elements.

• stiles
    15 years ago

I think your kitchen looks very warm and rich. I too like the lower level in the island.

As I stare at the hood, I wonder if you could shorten the drywall sides of the hood and start the corbels higher. This way the corbels would not touch the countertop but would end just at or below where the cabinet ends.

I also think painting the hood the color of the island and make the trim the color of the cabinets would be very striking.

Lots to think about-wish I knew how to photoshop!

• alice462
    15 years ago

First of all, your kitchen is beautiful and certainly not ruined by any stretch of the imagination! I do agree with others that the paint on the hood just doesn't seem to work with the tile.

Maybe removing upper columns, paint hood to match island and then use a glaze to tie it to tile and cabinets so that the stark white is softened a bit? I also liked the idea of faux painting the whole thing to look like venetian plaster. You are right, once you put some items on ledge, it really helped the overall look. Hang in there -- it is a solvable problem!

• mommyto4boys
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for keeping going. I can't remove or change the corbels. The backsplash is in and all and there is NO budget to do this for many years.

I really appreciate all ideas and suggestions. I have a desk in the room too (painted like the island). I'm hoping dh can and will take the doors off and I can put them up on the hood to kind of get an idea of the "look."

• busybme
    15 years ago

Don't fret about this too much. Your kitchen is beautiful and there are very few people that will walk into it and think "hmmmm...something is odd about her hood".

I believe this can all be fixed with paint. I would like someone to photoshop the hood with the corbels painted the white of your crown, as well as the 'columns'. The columns look like they are meant to mimic a wood treatment, so I'd paint them like they were wood trim.

Then, I would choose an alternate color/texture for the rest of the hood. The plaster idea is a good one.

Have you looked through the FKB for ideas? I'm sure you have but maybe a fresh review of it would bring a new look forward.

Good luck!

Sandy

• mamadadapaige
    15 years ago

Mommy,
    no tears... your kitchen is gorgeous and you are Just about there... very close indeed.

Here are the changes I would make. Remove the two panels sitting on top of the ledge. They are serving to take away from the over all look rather than add to it.

Consider a stucco finish for the hood area and paint in a shade of "putty" or "parchment".

Leave everything else as is, except repaint the walls something other than yellow. I think it is to sunshiney cheery for the old world sophistication of your kitchen. It just doesn't go. You have a lot of strong elements in your kitchen, so I think the wall color should be very subdued... perhaps a shade or two lighter than the Putty/Parchment I am suggesting for you hood.

Take a look at gglks's kitchen. The hood design is a dominant element... but it works because there is an overall harmony in the kitchen with a reduced number of elements.

I think you just need to remove ONE element and you are there and to me that would be the yellow color.

• paxispl
    15 years ago

I love your kitchen! I don't have photoshop, but I took a crack at it using Paint.

• mommyto4boys
    Original Author
    15 years ago

PAXISPL-Thank you so much, you are too kind to take the time to work on this for me. You did a great job:)

Looking better, hugh?!

What do you all think?

I am so appreciative to all the help here!

mamadadapaige-Thanks too for the bautiful picture and great ideas!

• houseful
    15 years ago

I've been working in Paint too. I don't know if squaring off the lower arch is an option, but I tried just to see. The only thing I don't know about is how you wood treat the sides of the hood. I would still do something with paint, either a suble faux technique or complete color change.

• twoscoops
    15 years ago

I'm so sorry you are thinking that you've ruined your beautiful kitchen~you've done a beautiful job~just think of it as a work in progress. I think this hood issue may end up leading you to a solution that you hadn't considered before that will make your kitchen uniquely yours. Have you thought about bringing in some accent colors? To my eye the scale of the hood reads as large because the paint color is making it pop. Maybe you could paint the hood black and the recessed panels above the mantel might look nice lined in copper or painted a warm red or green etc. The darker colors would give the hood depth and be cozy too. Hang in there, you'll figure it out. By the way I love the room color you've chosen....

• mommyto4boys
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Don't have time to post now...just wanted to say thanks for the help! I'll BBL!

• katiee511
    15 years ago

Wow paxispl & houseful... great job on the Paint program.

Mommyto4 - see? doesn't a little bit of change make it look so completely different? I think you are very close to making a decision. Like I said before, I love all the colors and elements of your kitchen.

If you like the "warm" look, I would go with a color to blend most of the hood with the cabinets. If you really love the contrast of your island and desk, mimic that. I think they both could work. Since the hood is drywall, painting will be much easier to change around then staining wood, so be happy about that!

BTW, I love your wall color, so being 'married' to it because of the rest of your open floorplan is a good thing :) I know once you find the right combo you'll just feel it in your gut. Then sit back and enjoy the beautiful space you created! I look forward to seeing your final pics!