Corrugated plastic sheet?

linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)

What is this called? I'm not sure of the name or where to buy it. There is a type of plastic that has a corrugated inside like corrugated cardboard, and 2 smooth surfaces on the outside. Ikea uses it in some of their furniture, like to make translucent "windows" in a cabinet. IÂve also seen it used to make semi-rigid file boxes. It's very rigid and lightweight. Like foam core but all plastic, no foam inside. It can be scored and folded easily. Does anyone know what this stuff is, or where to buy it?

IÂm not sure where to post this, so IÂm trying several places in hopes someone has used it.

Comments (4)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I think I know what you're talking about. I think the technical term is just corrugated plastic.

"Coroplast" is the brand name, but from the looks of their website, they sell it by the pallet (yikes!).

I know that Uline sells corrugated plastic as one of their packing materials - minimum purchase of 10 bundles of 10 sheets. Less than a pallet, but still - yikes!

I don't know if you could find smaller quantities somewhere else. Sign shops use this stuff. You may be able to cut a deal with one of them to just sell you the amount you need.

Hope that helps. Maybe someone else will have a better suggestion for finding crafter-friendly quantities.

Here is a link that might be useful: craftfetish blog

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Loretta NJ Z6

StratoCore is the brand I use to see around. I use to see it in well stocked art supply stores, hobby stores or craft stores.
I would try a sign company, a graphic arts supplier or a graphic design company who makes signs and see if you can buy what you need. We also have one or two plastic stores around here that sell plexiglass sheets, lexan and other unusual plastic items. You might find that in the yellow pages.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I own a new company that makes Plastic Corrugated Sheet. We are American owned and operated. We make the corrugated sheet in just about any color and in thicknesses from 2mm to 14mm. We can make any size up to 5' X 12'.
We will ship 1 sheet up to 10,000 sheets.
If we can help please give us a call. I guarantee we can save you money since you will be going straight from the manufacturer to the end user. We would very much appreciate your business.
Thanks so much,
Jim Nickerson

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Yes , the stuff I get at my local Art Supply Store is called " STRATOCORE " . It comes in 4 mm , 8 mm and 10 mm
thicknesses. I have seen translucent white and solid white .
I believe it is also made in assorted colors . Comes with'both rectangukar " tubes " or " S " shaped ones , as in normal corrugated cardboard .

Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Remodeling Guides Hello Again, Corrugated Panels
Once-Shunned Material Finds Expressive New Role in Contemporary Homes
Full Story
Remodeling Guides 5 Places to Love Corrugated Metal in Your House
It’s budget friendly, versatile and even colorful. Is it any wonder this popular exterior material is making inroads indoors?
Full Story
My Houzz My Houzz: Plastic Is King in an Out-of-This-World Home
Packed with wild colors, vintage collectibles and all things plastic, this Netherlands rental boldly ventures into futuristic territory
Full Story
oe Morgado has over 30 years of well-rounded construction and masonry experience. He brings authentic artisan... Read More
MW Construction performs all types of construction from design-build to general contracting to construction... Read More