SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marilyn_c

Piggy Sue update...pig rotten...picture

marilyn_c
15 years ago

Piggy Sue is taming down a little. Here is a picture of me scratching her. It was made at dark, and hard to take a good picture and lean over and scratch her at the same time. She has flopped down, just outside her little house. You can just see her gingham pillow on the inside.

I let her out of her pen for the first time this morning, and again this evening. She is like a spoiled, hyperactive child. She runs every which way. She will take off running, and just when you think she won't come back, she comes zooming back to me, and the takes off running the opposite direction. It is like she is coming back to check and make sure I am still there. Then to get her back inside, I have to entice her with something, like an apple.

The veterinarian at the Houston SPCA has volunteered to spay her for me for free. First of all, he said he needs to research it a little, because he has never spayed a pig before.

I think that would be best because it ought to make her have a little more mellow disposition. Plus, there is another wild hog here, in my pasture/woods and in case it turns out to be a boar....I think it is a female too...I won't have a bunch of little pigs. I kind of think the SPCA has an ulterior motive in offering to do this for me....I think they are happy to have someone who will take feral pigs...and I wouldn't be surprised if there aren't more in my future. If she is spayed and manageable, I don't mind.

So, she is doing well...I call her Pig Rotten or Pig Noxious a lot of the time because she is so spoiled that if she sees me, she will stand on her hind feet with her nose against the fence and whine. I usually will give her a treat to shut her up...but then she does it again as soon as she has eaten it, so, in essence, I have trained her to be a brat. :(

Once she is able to stay out a good part of the time, I think she will be happier. I just need to be sure I am here and that she isn't going to run off.

Comments (18)

• donna37
    15 years ago

Thanks for the picture Marilyn, and yes you have her spoiled already, but of course you have all your critters spoiled:) That's great that you can get her spayed for free. That's funny that the vet is going to have to do his homework first.

• minnie_tx
    15 years ago

AWWW how sweet and you didn't name her Babe!!
    I've read that pigs are one of the most intelligent of animals and she already has learned how to "tame" you!!

• Jasdip
    15 years ago

How adorable!!! That is so cute the way she races towards you then turns around and takes off again!! I'd love to see that.
    It doesn't take long for animals to train us. She has you wrapped around her hoof!

• Mystical Manns
    15 years ago

After what she's been through, she certainly deserves a little spoiling!

Give her a scritch-scratch from me, please.

• trinitytx
    15 years ago

I only wish I had the patience and land that you do. I am so in awe of you Marilyn.
    You are some kinda special gal.

Trin

• clubm
    15 years ago

How Sweet!! Give Piggy Sue a smooch from me!! Oink-Oink!!

• solstice98
    15 years ago

I predict a great relationship! She is adorable and you are wonderful for taking her in.

She's just a baby so it will be a while before she mellows, I'm sure. I had a friend with a potbelly pig and that little sweetie was goofy for the first couple years. She would tear around like yours - babies need to run for the exercise and to let off energy. Pigs can be very playful!

• lindaohnowga
    15 years ago

How could you"not" spoil a cute baby like her? Now don't be calling her names other than Piggy Sue, or you will give her an inferiority complex. LOL

• jannie
    15 years ago

She's so cute. I have always heard that pigs are even smarter than dogs. Watch out for her. She may try to escape.

• Linda Wayman
    15 years ago

Marilyn, what a great picture. She's such a sweet little girl and oh so lucky to have found the woman with the biggest heart of anyone I know.

Linda

• marilyn_c
    Original Author
    15 years ago

That's one reason I think spaying her will be a good idea. She will be more satisfied just hanging around. Also, I think the SPCA, who sent her here in connection with the Wildlife Center, would feel very badly if she became unmanageable and hurt me or I had to find another place for her. The reason I call the wild one in the pasture "Baby"...that is what I call all the coons, etc. here. When I put out their food, I say, "Come on, babies...come on, babies."

• lydia1959
    15 years ago

What a cutie! Sounds like she already has you wrapped around her little finger (foot?). lol

• grammahony
    15 years ago

Thanks for sharing your experiences with us Marilyn. I think she's cute too.
    Leslie

• lindyluwho
    15 years ago

I think maybe she has trained you to do whatever she wants.

Linda

• zeetera
    15 years ago

Bless your little heart for taking her in. Hope the vet knows what he's doing.

• Granlan_TX
    15 years ago

Just keep on spoiling Miss Piggy, and all your other babies; they're so deserving of your loving heart and tender care.

Kudos to the vet and heres hoping he's totally sure of what's involved in the spaying.

• justlinda
    15 years ago

What is there about marilyn that's not to love??? Your animal stories remind me of the Vet who is also an author ~~ James Herriot ~~ who writes such endearing animal stories.

Just think about what all those abandoned animals would do without you taking them in....naaaa.....I don't even want to think about it.

Thanks for doing what you do marilyn.

• angelaid
    15 years ago

Marilyn, I've said it before, but you really are an angel. And an inspiration! And Piggy Sue is a doll.