What is your earliest 'paper' memory?

minnie_tx

I was trying to remember my first paper experience. I think it must have been making the loops for the Christmas tree garland. We did a lot of things with paper when I was a kid and I remember mom making flour paste. A bowl of flour and a little water. It was so exciting to go to school and buy a 5¢ bottle of paste. I can remember that beautiful smell. Some kids actually ate it. All our costumes for school assemblies were made out of crepe paper. Dennison's was the company that made it. Later when I was older my girlfriend and I would ride the commuter train into downtown Chicago and go to Dennison's They had a big building and rows and rows of beautiful papers and shells and other things for pasting and creating.

Sorry I was so long winded. Now that girlfriend is thousands of miles away and still doesn't have a computer!!!

SaveComment6Like
Comments (6)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Marie_TX

Your memories awaked my own. My Mom was very artistic. She pressed flowers and "embellished" all of her notes to family and friends. She made Christmas cards that sometimes had to be sent in a box. She made the boxes. She taught us to keep our tools sharp and clean, and our workspace well lit and clean. I still have some of her papier mache fruit. She would get excited if junk mail had a picture she could use. She made collages. My favorites were her collage picture frames and bulletin board frames. What was an ugly weed on the side of the road to others, was a device for stamping or embellishing, to her. When my Dad came home from the office once with computer print-out paper with strips of paper on the sides with sprocket holes, she begged for all she could get. We made paper chains the next Christmas with the strips. She had a way of making marbelized, irredescent paper using an old hog trough, water-based and oil-based paints, and crushed glitter. The paper was very heavy and the glitter could cut your skin, so it was used carefully. Thanks for the memories!! -- Marie

Save    
Lia_SC

When I was about 9 I made a rose for my mom for mother's day. I can't remember exactly what I used --crepe or tissue paper-- but it was pink. I used floral tape and wire, I guess, to make the stem. Don't know how I had access to floral tape. But the rose looked absolutely REAL to me at that time! LOL! I remember it so well, I think, because my mom wasn't happy with like I thought she would be. I think she was angry with my dad, maybe expecting something from him? Funny about those childhood memories...

I also remember in 3rd grade "mass-producing" these crayon drawings to sell at school. It was a picture of a tall cedar tree and its shadow; beside the tree was an ant hill with ants marching up or down. I think I got a nickle each and sold quite a few! ROTFL! Then my teacher made me refund everyone's money. :-( But I liked her anyway. :-)

Earlier than that, I think we made the colorful chains with construction paper at Christmastime. Can't remember how we adhered them; probably that glue in the amber bottle that had the rubber tip with a slit in it? Remember that from the 60s? I always liked the smell of rubber cement. Which is probably what lured me into paper crafts. LOL!

Save    
minnie_tx

I think that amber glue was Lepages glue.
I just remembered that a girl who lived in the same apartment building and I would get plain paper and cut out little flowers etc from magazines and glue themon and then sell to the other neighbors for 5¢
Great memories. Do you still have your flower?

Marie - how great to have had such an artistic mom.

Save    
rosie_ga

My first thoughts of paper would be cutting paper dolls from the Sears/Roebuck catalog. Then the hearts that were made for Mother's Day/Valentines, etc.

Save    
herbabuena

Those tissue paper mosaics we'd make in school. The ones where you'd draw your picture on a piece of paper, then take a little scrap of tissue paper, crumple it around a pencil point, dip it in glue, and stick it to the paper. I remember they had a really neat texture, when you were done.

Here is a link that might be useful: description of the project I found online

Save    
ArtsyCraftsy

Anja took my answer, lol! I just loved the glued-on tissue paper. I got very excited anytime I saw tissue paper or paper doilies on the art teacher's cart!
I loved the snowdrift paste with the nice minty smell, but then we switched to the rubber cream paste that stank and made paste "boogies" on everything.
Marie, I read your post with envy. My mom was creative, too but working full time as a third grade teacher she did not have much energy left to do fun things with us. One of my cherished memories is of the time she helped me to fashion a beautiful "Easter hat" for school. The crown was a yellow Chinette bowl and the brim was a paper plate. She decorated it with dried strawflowers and green ribbon. I thought it was the most beautiful hat ever, and wore it in our school Easter parade!
Lia- LOL, why you little entrepeneur!

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Feel-Good Home Simple Pleasures: Scent and Memory
Does baby soap fragrance make you bubbly, or a whiff of the ocean float your boat? Tap into sensory pleasures to stir up delicious feelings
Full Story
Organizing Simple Pleasures: Preserving Analog Memories in a Digital World
Too often our photos and mementos accumulate in computers and in piles. Here’s how to free them up to be displayed and enjoyed
Full Story
Decorating Guides Paper Chase: Wallpaper Through the Ages to Today
Get on a decorating roll with a wall covering that's been around for centuries but comes in more exciting designs than ever
Full Story
Whether you're interested in energy efficiency or an architectural renovation our wide selection of replacement... Read More
For nearly 20 years Grow Landscapes, Inc. has proven to be a leader in the industry in terms of design,... Read More