SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lnew52

debating purchasing an old home

lnew52
11 years ago

I am debating purchasing a home in will county, IL that was built in 1895. In 2006 an addition was put on the back of the home, and it seems to have possibly pulled down where it was attached. The floors have a slant in both back rooms starting two feet from the wall, along with slight cracking in the walls. The old broiler heating system also needs to be ripped out and replaced. The other repairs are relatively minor, like new carpeting and updated bathrooms. The owner is asking 35000, which seems very reasonable. The house is 3300sq ft with 5br, 1.5 bath, 2 car garage, and full limestone first floor and foundation. I am mostly concerned with the cost of repairs, and that many contractors will overcharge or understate the extent of the damage. I have about a week to make a decision before the owner lists the property. Does anyone have experience with a situation like this? I am working with two contractors on estimates but i admittedly have little experience and dont want to be taken advantage of. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Comments (23)