SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
xand83

Ugh- Nothing Rhymes With Orange. Finished!

xand83
13 years ago

My partner & I recently completed our small DC kitchen and wanted to share the results. We have a 1,000 sq ft, 2br basement condo in the Dupont Circle/Kalorama area and it was fully renovated 15 years ago. 15 years isn't bad, but the kitchen wasn't looking so hot. We knew we couldn't throw $30k into a basement condo for a new kitchen (nor could we afford it!), so we DIY'd it all, except for the granite install. The final tally came to about $8k and we finished with a clean, contemporary kitchen with a punch of color. I know it doesn't really compete with some of the expensive renos featured on this forum, but I do think it's good to show kitchens can be done on a modest budget.

We kept the same basic layout, but moved the laundry from the kitchen closet to another closet, and now it is a niche for the refrigerator. This helped open the kitchen up a good deal and added a ton more storage. Also, the new corner cabinets are now usable as it was just dead-space due to the basic 1995 cabinets prior. The old cabinets were pretty bargain-basement dull, but they were in good shape. We demoed very carefully and donated all the cabinets & appliances to a non-profit that re-sells or donates as needed (like a Home Depot goodwill, of sorts).

We started in October, finished in November, and took a few months to finish trim, paint, accessories, etc. The biggest obstacle was the fact that we don't own a car. Between Zipcar, the DC metro, and *lots* of walking, we got it done. But it was frustrating when a trip to the hardware store sucked up 1/2 a day.

Some of the choices:

Floor: Polished porcelain 12x12 in Orion Negro (from HD- Free shipping!).

Walls: Basic subway tile backsplash and Mango Madness Behr paint.

Cabinets: Ikea Adel White uppers & Solar Beech on the bottom.

Counter: Bianco Antico granite

Lighting: Undercabinet LED strips from Ikea. $100 for 8 strips! We previously had a track light with 3 halogen bulbs that was fine, but it was dim and it cast shadows galore. I didn't want to do it, but we installed a fluorescent fixture to help with the ambient light. It was needed as we have no windows in the kitchen.

Stove/Micro: Samsung FTQ353IWUX & Samsung SMH9187ST. Both good. The range is solid and the convection + warming drawer are nice upgrades. The microwave had some install issues and the vent is loud, but good overall.

Fridge: LG LRBP1031T. Extremely inexpensive and the perfect size for that old closet.

Dishwasher: Kitchenaid KUDC03IVBL. We wanted a panel-able DW, but didn't want to spend close to $1k to get it. With the effort it took to finally get this thing paneled, we wish we spent the money to get a full-panel DW. The door is pretty flimsy (more so pre-panel install) and something seems out of whack with it (door-wise), but it cleans very well and the rack configuration really works for us, so it's hard to complain overall.

Faucet: Danze D404558SS in stainless. Love. Especially the pull-out feature.

Art: Etsy finds and the DC ork print from www.orkposters.com

This forum is a great asset to so many and especially for us during this time! Thanks for everything!

Old kitchen:

Mid-October:

And now:

Comments (33)