SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cpalm1970

roof leaking from ice melting

cpalm1970
16 years ago

We bought a house (I know nothing about carpentry which is why I searched online for forums for amateurs) and this fall on the east coast has been worse than winters for the last two years, and our new house is covered in snow, which then became frozen. It is multi level roof on our little old house (1920's), we can see one roof below when we look out our bathroom window, which was supposedly an extension on the house some years ago. So the room below that lower roof has ice melting through into for the last two days, and in our bathroom from the higher roof above. My husband thought maybe something that was meant to be between the shingles and house maybe was not used (the old owners cut a lot of corners we are finding, such as the window in the bathroom has only a storm window, no actual inside window, and is currently covered in ice, and the guy was supposedly a contractor and carpenter) we think he cut a lot or corners because he knew he would be selling. So we're seeing all these things since the wintry weather began (not to mention the leaking skylights). We have no clue what to do about the lower roof leaking. My husband talked with someone at work who recommended a roofer coming here to break off the ice, would that do it? I've lost my job, we can't afford much, we tried to chunk off the ice ourselves last night through the small bathroom window. But this morning the leaking is worse into the room below that lower roof. We're a couple of stressed out home buyers kicking ourselves for bending on the price, and then my being laid off, a baby on the way, we need help! Is the roofer the way to go? Please feel free to ask me any questions, I don't doubt I didn't explain this well enough, but would love any thoughts. We don't have the money for a lot of work, let alone oil this year (right?) I don't know all the things to look for, but if anyone replies and wants to ask me questions, I can ask my husband when he gets home. Any suggestions would be great. I read someone wrote about a handyman maybe being more affordable than a roofer? If we need to do that, is there a way to find someone reputable?

Thank you so much to anyone!

Happy holiday to everyone.

Cynthia

Comments (4)