SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fluffybutt

Musical Chairs--Need Serious Help with Family Room Arrangement

fluffybutt
14 years ago

First I want to apologize in advance because this is so long! People have been so helpful in other posts I've read so I'm hoping to get some good ideas and constructive criticism.

I am having a really hard time with the furniture arrangement in my family room! There is only one real wall. You can see in the pictures I've tried it all different ways. Most of the people with this floor plan have a sofa and loveseat but where you walk in, the view would be the back of the loveseat. I'll probably get new furniture because my furniture is mostly second hand odd pieces, sofa is uncomfortable and they just don't seem to work together in this space. So what should I get and what is the best arrangement?

Next, the tv wall does not look good. The current tv does not have to stay (in fact, I think it's way too big). Thank goodness my DH has set up his manroom in the basement so while I still want a tv in here, it doesn't have to be huge. I have a tall armoir that I could move in, but without the side shelves, I think it's not going to be big enough. Plus I think I want something that can accomodate a little bigger flat tv than my armoir holds. So, I'm thinking of getting a new wall unit that's tall and wide, or maybe even a tall buffet with a plasma mounted and then two chairs in front of that? I'd still need to take up the the with a tall plant or something, right? Any suggestions on what to put there?

Eventually I will replace the carpet with wood and want to get an area rug. For now I will just put the rug over the carpet.

I've changed out the curtains because I had a hard time with the gold curtains/wall color looking right together, but the new ones are returnable. I tried bronze panels to get an idea if the darker color would look better. Which looks better? The breakfast/kitchen area and french door are going to have valances that are dark brown with gold/cranberry/green/plum colors, and that will be visible from the family room so I want to tie that all together. I made some throw pillows out of that fabric for the family room. I think the brown leather chair fits better in the corner by the window but then that's not going to work next to the new curtains.

Once again, sorry so long and I'd appreciate any and all feedback.

The first three pictures show how it looks now with the paint and bronze curtains. The other pictures are all the different ways I've tried to arrange it.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Old Leather sofa, now used in another room{{!gwi}}

sofa back to entry{{!gwi}}

Comments (4)