SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jezalab

New furniture, now what? Please help make this family room cohesive!

jezalab
5 years ago

Hello! We recently purchased new furniture for the family room, and can't figure out how to decorate the rest of the room. We need a rug, drapes, tables, lighting, everything! The problem is I don't know how to coordinate colors, textures and patterns in a way that would make the room cohesive. We like a transitional style. We also have a lab and a cat, plus teenagers who trek in and out the sliding glass door regularly. All that's staying in the room is the sofa, loveseat and turquoise chairs (which look blue in the pics). I know the TV is mounted too high but we haven't been uncomfortable with it. I'm fine with a large piece of art replacing the prints above the sofa. And, this is kind of odd, but I'm considering adding shelves on one of the walls to keep the cat occupied so she won't scratch

the new furniture. The kitchen table and chairs need to be replaced too - yikes! Any help the Houzz community can give me would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you so much!! :-)

Comments (28)

• saratogaswizzlestick
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Cat condo where your tree is.

jezalab thanked saratogaswizzlestick
  • jezalab
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thank you for the cat condo suggestion! Much better idea than shelves. There are some amazing ones now that I'm looking at them!
  • Related Discussions

Please help make my space cohesive.

Q

Comments (12)
    @kaismom, trying to base design on the colors in the LR. The cherry and wall color I like very much. Also the tile around the stove. The cabs are staying in the kitchen(except on island, will reface). I want to get rid of the red, white and anything gold. Thinking bone tone for walls. Hope this helps. @dilly ny, Yes! We are on the same page. The island is not done yet. I do not plan on it being white. I want to make it the same color as whatever I land on for the woodwork in the kitchen (maybe?), and it will have a butcher block top sililar in color to the cabs. I was also thinking about pulling a color from the tile around the stove. I am not sure how dark or light. The curtains and end tables can change. They are just from our old house "for now." Thanks for the insight. Keep it coming!
    ...See More

Remodeling Family room layout/furniture help please!

Q

Comments (2)
    In the last picture, does the door on the left lead to the garage? So will you be leaving the tile floor there? I wonder if you can't leave the living room arranged the same as it is now, but with the chair where the tv will be vacating? It doesn't seem to bother you now to watch tv on the angle. Although, since you are losing the half-wall, you can just put the sofa across the room, between the kitchen and patio door. That creates a walkway along the long wall. This is how we had our FR arranged, though where you have a bookcase on the right, we had doors to a powder room and a laundry. If your new sofa won't provide enough seating, add a swivel chair or two, either in an L to the sofa or by the bookcases as you have now.
    ...See More

New Family Room Furniture Help

Q

Comments (19)
    The recliner doesn’t bother me in that location, but I feel like you need to turn the rug the other way and get the feet of the recliner on it as well. Is that a new rug bought specifically for this room? I am not sure it is the correct dimensions. The flower prints look good to me.
    ...See More

How do we make the furniture in our living room look more cohesive?

Q

Comments (13)
    Thank you for the suggestions everyone-- this is my first time posting on this site. I appreciate the feedback. I didn't post the room because we currently live in an apartment and we don't plan to be here much longer, but I can definitely repost when I get home if that will help! As for the 60% rule suggestion, I am a total newbie and I truly do not know what would look best. Gray might be too sterile, white might be too clinical, and red may be too bold. There is a sage green in the rug that I think is pretty, but obviously none of my other furniture is that color. I feel like we have bungled this badly already.
    ...See More
  • kay kin
    5 years ago

a sisal rug, black edge (they wear like iron) - looks to be 8x11 would work. long bench as coffee table, wood legs, large tray on top to be useful, bench fabric preferably a print with your 2 dominate colors & 1 accent. the most opportune TV view are the 2 chairs- moving the couches into an 'L' shape and option? slider door drapes- a print in grey, blue to soften the room, black iron rod hung above the slider trim height, 90" drapes. your art works, but something on the mantle to balance the big black box, dark in color- iron candle sticks (3), perhaps a color glass vase opposite. large woven basket on the hearth with white birch logs. color wise, think in terms of 3. 2 complimentary + 1 accent. an accent is treated like salt to be sprinkled through out. use your orange chairs in the dining area as an accent starting point. good luck!

jezalab thanked kay kin
  • jezalab
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks, kay kin! I like sisal rugs but unfortunately our cat does too lol. I'll look for a black bordered rug that she won't be as tempted to sink her claws into. Hadn't thought of using a black finish, I like the idea of carrying it through the rug and accessories. Initially the sofas were in an 'L' configuration with the chairs parallel to the slider. It looked good but the chairs ended up being moved around all the time for better tv viewing, which drove me crazy!! The current layout is comfortable and the furniture stays in place :-) The big black box, ugh, I think the same thing every time I look at that wall. Do you think we should paint the brick wall a darker color? Or at least paint it grey like the rest of the room? We didn't have a plan when painting... the bricks were dark brown and I knew I wanted to brighten the room so we just went with white. I'll start looking at rugs and drapes and mantel accessories. Should new lighting also have a black finish to coordinate with the curtain rod and candlesticks? Thanks!

• C D
    5 years ago

I like the white brick, nice and bright with your darker furniture, How about some colorful pillows and a throw for the couches?

jezalab thanked C D
  • jezalab
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Wow wiseguys, I love it! The room looks alive and so much more interesting!! Thank you for providing the visual. Seeing it pulled together makes me less wary of all the color. I had been thinking of going with neutrals but I really like this, because it pulls in the color of the chairs (which really had me stuck), and I can see how the geometric pattern of the fireplace grate pulls the eye away from the tv. Quick question: my fireplace has glass doors and w/ meshed metal doors on the inside, so I'm guessing the proposed grate would be just decorative, right? I do really like its sharp clean lines... would there be another way of introducing that element if the grate is really unnecessary? By the way, I also like the tree in the front of the room! I just moved it and it's now noticeable from the kitchen, which softens the room, adds color and makes me happy to see it! It is kind of blocking the media table, but I guess that's okay, maybe I can find a more narrow/vertical media cabinet.

The artwork is gorgeous, love the size. It's a bit modern for our taste, and while the fuschia(?) looks great w/ the blue and gray, I was thinking of maybe a yellow or orange for an accent color. Do you think that would look good as well? I'll look around on art.com for some ideas and post them here. Thanks again for your help!!

CD, thanks for your feedback! I too like the white brick but was just ready to throw in the towel in defeat ;-)

Saratoga, I've been looking at cat condos/trees and am going to order one this weekend (will post ideas). The cat will get that back wall where the tree was located. Not sure if something else should go in that corner?

kay kin, you mentioned to think in three's, would grey and blue be the main colors and yellow/orange the accent? I like the idea of adding black to the mix (had been thinking of using satin nickel because it's grey) but now I can see even more so how it would work.

Thank you everyone for sharing your thoughts. I'm actually feeling excited about this room now. Thank goodness there are so many creative ppl on this forum who are able to visualize things in ways I never could!! :-)

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    5 years ago

Just a thought, does your cat have a scratching post? Also, if you trim the front claws regularly (helps to have one person holding kitty and the other trimming with nail clippers) that will help a lot since the blunt claws can't hook into material very well. Instead of the fuchsia I would choose yellow in the painting and in pillows because you need some warm counterpoints to all your cool colors. Find a carpet that has yellows and grays in it. With all your solid colors you need some items with patterns and a rug would pull it all together. Maybe yellow candles if you decide to have some near the TV. Instead of blue curtains I would suggest a light color which will make the room look larger and keep you from drowning in blue, perhaps white to tie in the fireplace wall, although off-white might be less harsh and give a more layered and warmer look. Your lamps really should be the same height and these are also not large enough for a living room, although the floor lamp in the picture above looks great. Do make sure that the lamp shades are the same.

jezalab thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • kaye1951
    5 years ago

Following

jezalab thanked kaye1951
  • jezalab
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks, Ingrid! Yes, she has several sisal scratching posts that she uses regularly and are shredded to bits. We don't trim her claws... we'll try that next, and I guess we'll just have to endure it together :-)) I like the idea of introducing yellow and spent a ton of time trying to find a grey/yellow/blue rug that would work. Some greys were too warm or the blues never seemed the right shade:

I'm getting rid of the lamps and will look for something appropriately sized. Thanks!!

• Twosit4me
    5 years ago

It could just be my computer screen but I'm not a fan of those colors in the room.

jezalab thanked Twosit4me
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    5 years ago

You can't have a loveseat across from the sofa because of the different lengths, so place the loveseat 90 degrees to the sofa and the two chairs across from the sofa.

jezalab thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • Susan Davis
    5 years ago

My daughter has the very same arranged family room kitchen eating area etc...do you live in Hillsboro, OR. lol......she also has BeverlyFLADsziner's floor plan and they put their wide TV on the wall between the two chairs and it works beautifully....the w pieces of art work is now over the Fireplace and the sofa...and I love the fuschia color that was shown and suggested by 2wiseguys4u. Everyone is doing orange or yellow, too ubiquitous, do the fuschia, it will lift your spirits and you will be seen as daring and bold in your design choices....just my opinion.....or......I think the room would be beautiful in all shades of blue and white;

Would no do white chairs but rather a deeper blue for dirt control.

Coastal Living Magazine Showhouse · More Info

Brookside: Eagles Nest · More Info

This room is fun with the spot of chartreuse in the ottoman/cocktail table in leather.....

Transitional Living Room · More Info

jezalab thanked Susan Davis
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    5 years ago

Some of your selections are undersized. I've adjusted lamp sizes, and art. All these items need to work together.

jezalab thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • katinparadise
    5 years ago

following

jezalab thanked katinparadise
  • shari13
    5 years ago

Regarding kitty - claw trimming is much easier if you sneak up on them while they are sleepy. Fortunately, they are good nappers so this is not difficult!

jezalab thanked shari13
  • PRO
    Anglophilia
    5 years ago

DD has 3 cats and has had cats since they moved into their house 19 years ago. They have seagrass rugs in their LR and DR and the cats could't care less and can't hurt them. They still look very good 19 yrs and now 2 teenage boys (and the cats!) all these years later!

jezalab thanked Anglophilia
  • havingfun
    5 years ago

i do not like the idea of matching your artwork to your furnishings. that implies that your artwork has little value. the artwork is what should be important, like wearing your emerald with pink. it is your jewelry, the colors do not have to go.

Gray 9' x 12' Palazzo Rug | Area Rugs | eSaleRugs · More Info

Amazon.com: Luxbon Set of 4 Pcs Vintage Style Peacock Print Cushion Cover Durabl · More Info

Amazon.com: GAXmi Bright Natural Print Cotton Linen Throw Pillow Yellow Birds: H · More Info

Amazon.com - Euphoria Home Decor Cushion Covers Pillows Shell Cotton Linen Blend · More Info

Amazon.com: JinStyles Ginkgo Leaves Cotton Canvas Decorative Throw Pillow Cover · More Info

Amazon.com: yellow decorative pillows - Decorative Pillows, Inserts & Covers / B · More Info

Decorative & Throw Pillows | Kohl's · More Info

Orient Lumbar Pillow - Turquoise | Pier 1 Imports · More Info
    a couple sets of pillows. let me know if you don't like, happy to toss.

jezalab thanked havingfun
  • njmomma
    5 years ago

following

jezalab thanked njmomma
  • ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    5 years ago

I really like the first yellow and gray rug a lot. It doesn't have to have blue in it. That soft yellow will also go well with the cream curtains. You can have gray or yellow pillows on the blue chairs or a pattern that includes both, or even including blue if you can find that. It's true that paintings don't have to "match" the furniture, but if you can find something you love that has one of the colors that you see in the furniture that won't hurt anything. The most important thing is to find art that you really love, and I would suggest getting several pieces for this room to give it a warm and personal look. Art, and books too, give a very warm and personal look to a room. So do plants, but I notice you have your shoved in a corner where I'm afraid it may not get enough light.

jezalab thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • Susan Davis
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

So wondering all these years when I buy art work i try to work the room around it so that is coordinates...does that devalue my art or my design choices? And how can you tell? Not that I even have art work; I collect prints from our vacations and frame them and put them in our home for our art.....but prints are pretty easy to come by.....art is way beyond my budget.

jezalab thanked Susan Davis
  • mjlb
    5 years ago

I like the color combo in the OP's second photo (gray sofas, blue chairs, red metal chairs). I'd like to see another photo with blue chairs rendered the actual aqua color, so rugs can be tried against the true colors.

jezalab thanked mjlb
  • mjlb
    5 years ago

Would either of these work? I prefer the first one because it blends with the wood flooring. The second one has more of a modern feel.

jezalab thanked mjlb
  • mjlb
    5 years ago

I agree with Beverly that sofa wall calls for larger artwork. Your existing could easily be hung vertically on either the wall near the tree, or on the short kitchen wall. Not sure I have the scale correct, but I do think the vertical orientation would look great.

jezalab thanked mjlb
  • jezalab
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Happy Monday! Thank you SO MUCH for all the thoughtful comments and pics!! We ordered a cat condo; it will be placed on the wall where the money tree was located. The tree has already been moved to the left of the fireplace. It does well in our family room as it likes indirect sun. Also, we trimmed our cat's claws and she didn't mind it a bit! I was more nervous than she was haha!! Thank you, ingrid and shari, for that recommendation. The right words at the right time can make all the difference :-) Anglo, I do like seagrass rugs and maybe now we can consider looped rugs after all.

Beverly - your suggested layout would def be my preference, and we did try to make it work. But the z-chairs - which we really like and I couldn't find any swivel chairs that I liked as much - kept getting moved around for better tv viewing. And since the tv over the fireplace was most functional for us, we had to find a furniture arrangement to accommodate it. The interrelationship of all these factors has me spinning in circles! As I find items that are appropriately sized, I would greatly appreciate your assistance in making them all work together.

Susan and havingfun - I love love love the rugs and bird/owl/gingko pillows you've posted and am hoping we can create a layered cohesive look.

Initially I started this process by looking for a rug, but now I'm thinking I'll look for the artwork and design around that. l agree with everyone who posted about finding art that resonates. The three prints currently hanging are special to me - they depict Inferno, Purgatory & Paradise as imagined by Salvador Dali in his watercolor series of Dante's Inferno. We saw the collection on our honeymoon, and my husband gave me the first print (Inferno hehe) on our first wedding anniversary. We've going to move these prints to the master bedroom. If you have any suggestions for reasonably priced interesting artwork sites, please share! Thank you!

mjlb - I'm going to try to get a better pic of the chairs' true color. Also, fyi that the hardwood floors are going to be refinished with a medium brown stain. Thank you for all your suggestions.

Thanks, everyone, for all your great feedback. I so appreciate it!! I tend to tackle home projects in a piecemeal fashion, then get stuck because I don't really know what I'm working towards. Thanks again! :-)

• katinparadise
    5 years ago

Look at Etsy for lots of original prints that can be downloaded and printed to whatever size you want. Then they can be framed and matted to your liking.

jezalab thanked katinparadise
  • havingfun
    5 years ago

susan, your art is fine. What i try to state is that art work should be something you love. if you just buy to go with furniture, then buy the cheapest, because prints often cost over $400 and are nothing but glorified poster. there are many artists that have originals for under $400. many buy these prints from big box design stores. if you buy from etsy or saatchiart and you like but can not afford, pay for the online print save your email - use that as proof it is an artist print, then pay to print in size and way you like.

none of these apply to things you collect through your life or travels.

jezalab thanked havingfun
  • PRO
    Betty Wasserman Art & Interiors
    5 years ago

We really think the suggestion of putting the chairs across from the sofa will help the layout a lot. Also a rug with some blue in it will be really nice to see.

Hamptons Hideaway · More Info