SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cfrizzle_gw

To cut or not to cut sagging ceiling joists

cfrizzle
10 years ago

Almost done with a remodel of a 100 y/o Foursquare. After hemming and hawing over some saggy ceilings in the front living room we finally had the P&L removed to expose the joists. The room is 25' x 16'. The joists are 2x10, 16' long, spaced 16". The center of the room actually has 3 pairs of joists that are spaced closer. About 6" spacing. Above that area is closets between two bedrooms. Above that is attic space. There appears to be no rot, water or termite damage.

The problem is probably just that the house is so old, the joists have started to bow. I don't see how there can be any other reason unless someone had a waterbed up there in the seventies. Again, most of the deflection is under the closets.

I'm thinking we have a couple of solutions. New joists would interfere with the crown molding we're trying to keep intact. The other option is to snap a chalk line and just saw off the bowed part of the joist to even out the ceiling.

I like the simplicity of the chalk line method, but I'm worried about structural integrity. Would shaving off a section of the 2x10 just lead to more bowing in the future? Or less load capacity?

Comments (21)