SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
namarie

Another person needing backsplash advice!

namarie
12 years ago

Hi everyone! I've been lurking for a while but now need your expert advice. I'll try to post photos but be patient with me as I haven't done tried it before. We are in the process of putting in new counters and backsplash for our house. Our kitchen has very white cabinets. The granite we have selected is called Minsk and has a leathered finish. Because of the leathered finish and because our house is sort of set back in the woods, we thought a stone backsplash would be nice. The backsplash tiles we have looked at are baja cream tumbled travertine and a pueblo honed pillowed travertine. Both, in my opinion, look good with the granite, but I'm concerned that the beige tone of the tile next to the white cabinets will make my kitchen look "country." This seems to be more of a problem with the tumbled travertine, perhaps because it is more rustic. We are not fans of the "country" style of decorating. Our furnishings are much more of a warm, transitional style with clean lines.

I am definitely leaning toward the limestone, and I am thinking of adding a stainless steel pencil liner across the top of the bottom two rows of subway tiles (lining up with the peninsula counter) to add a little shine and contemporary finish next to the stone. Do you think that is enough to keep the limestone from making the kitchen look "country"?

Hopefully here are a few pictures so you can get an idea.

Kitchen:

{{!gwi}}

Pillowed limestone tiles in 3x6 subway:

{{!gwi}}

Minsk granite:

Minsk with travertine (unfortunately I don't have a picture with the limestone, but the coloring is similar, but with less variation):

{{!gwi}}

Travertine next to cabinets:

{{!gwi}}

Thanks for your help!

Comments (6)