SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pieinsky

Please explain the hole under my house

pieinsky
16 years ago

About 6 months ago the wife and I purchased a 1923 1 1/2 story home. It will be our retirement home and it will also be getting her back to her old stomping grounds and me, within 30 miles of my old hometown. The house is in a small town between Houston and Corpus Christi, Texas and about 20 miles from the Gulf Coast.

The hole under the house can best be explained as follows--

First forget about the house. We start by digging a hole 5' foot deep, 6' foot wide and 16 foot long. Then pour cement for the sides and floor and make a nice set of steep spiraling cement steps down into the hole. The cement floor has a nice round cut out spot in the center to install a sump pump to keep the hole completely dry in case of water intrusion. This large cement hole does "NOT HAVE A CEILING". Now build the house on top of this hole and you access the hole via a hidden door in the kitchen. Since this house is on pier and beam, you can go down in the hole and look out under the house in all directions---remember NO CEILING OR TOP OR ROOF. My wife says it's an unfinished cellar and I say it's an easy access to all the plumbing which is all ganged in this area and can be worked on overhead and with major ease. Does anyone have an idea. Keep in mind, if a snake or small horse got under the house and fell in this hole, they would never get out. Or we could fill it with water and use it as a small pool. Folks from other regions have probably seen a lot of these holes. Any kind of hole under any house in south Texas is rare. At least I've never heard of them.

Comments (19)