SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pammyfay

Jarred spice/herb shelf lifes?

pammyfay
13 years ago

New to this forum; I stick pretty much to the Kitchen Table and Home Dec forums on Garden Web. (But I did see a Sour Cream Lemon Bundt Cake mentioned when I searched here for spice info, so I might have to bookmark this place, too!)

To the question:

McCormick's, and probably some other major manufacturers, have "best by" dates on the bottom of the jars. Store brands, not that I can tell.

When you buy the spices, do you mark the date on them? How long do you keep them? How long do jarred dried spices maintain their flavor? Do you think it depends on the spice? (Or herb?)

I rearranged a bottom cabinet, which holds canned goods and extra spices, yesterday.

One part of me says "Why are you keeping these extra spices when there's a spice rack in another cupboard?"

Another part of me says "Because you will want at least one specific spice next week when you try a recipe you don't even know you want to try right now!"

Of course, who knows when I bought the spice, so it could be past its prime, and it will affect the taste of the "new recipe" and I will think the recipe is horrid when it's really my spice that messed it up!

So how do you keep track?

I'll fess up right now: I'm no chef, not even a "cook"--I'd call myself a "make-doer" but every now and then I try one of the recipes that I've ripped from magazines and stashed away. So if I use, at the most, 10 or so different spices consistently, that's a lot -- ginger, oregano, basil, cinnamon, nutmeg, lemon pepper, the packaged chili/taco mixes, dill, garlic salt, maybe some tarragon for chicken salad...

If it's not in your "top 10" most-used spices, do you toss it after 6 months? A year?

I also really hate spending a lot of money on a spice (tumeric, anybody?), using it once in a recipe and then tossing it into the extra/backup spice bin, where it will stay out of sight, out of mind for far too long.

(I've heard of Penzeys--their quality sounds awesome, but that's like me buying a Formula 1 race car to commute to work with!)

Comments (11)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES