SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marilyn_c

Details about my house

marilyn_c
15 years ago

It's an old house, but it isn't a wonderful house with lots of great architectural details. I would have loved to have found a house like that, but I haven't seen one like that in years, and I have looked at lots of houses on mover's lots. It was sort of a past time of mine.

It has sort of a neat divider between the living room and dining room and a swinging door between the kitchen and the dining room...which I understand is fairly common in old houses from around that time. The glassed in cupboard is nice but it is just a common house. I like it because it has hardwood floors...somewhat ruined now because of the neglect...and the rooms are nice sized. It has three bedrooms and two bathrooms. One bathroom was carved out of another room, leaving a little space left over that became a hall. I am not sure what that room was for originally. It is next to the room that has the glassed in cupboard, which is next to the kitchen.

I do know that we will take out that second bath and maybe make it into a powder room. I just don't like it because it doesn't go with the house...has a modern fiberglass tub/shower and the baseboards, etc. are narrow and modern, as opposed to the rest of the house that has the wide boards.

It had a front porch at one time, but was torn off when the house was moved. We will put a porch back...probably all the way across it. The house is L shaped, and will probably put a sunporch inside the L...at least the length of the L.

The front door is gone...crashed and fell into the living room. But, it has little narrow side lights which are very cute. Usually they are fixed in place, but in this house, they are narrow little windows that open, and have little screens. I don't like a/c, so I love those little windows.

Whatever we do, will be done in "chunks" because we pay as we go. First thing is to stablize it and get it roofed and sided. It was originally sided in brick. We will put Hardiplank back on it.

I haven't allowed myself to think of it as "my house"....even tho, I've called it "my house." It didn't seem like we were going to get it, and I didn't want to be disappointed. It took so long to just find out who it belonged to. The secretary of the company was no help to us at all, and it was just my husband's persistance that finally paid off, once he contacted the owner of the company.

Here's a picture of the dining room, as seen from the living room. When we build the front porch, plan to use square posts that will match the ones in the dining room/living room partition.

Comments (25)