SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
charlikin

How cool is my new kitchen?!

charlikin
15 years ago

(1) Dishwasher. 'Nuff said.

(2) Icemaker. I didn't even realize how much I wanted ice! Ice water, all the time. Served in nice clean glasses (see (1)).

(3) Big sink. Room to put a dirty dish and still have room for prep. (Dirty dish? Why do I have a dirty dish?! Don't I have a dishwasher??? (see (1)))

(4) Pull-out faucet with sprayer - that swivels to reach the whole sink. (My old one was tightened too much and didn't swivel. Don't ask.) And the sprayer rocks! And locks! And unlocks itself when I turn off the water! It's fun!

(5) Stove. OMG. I press a button to bake, press some buttons for the temperature, press some buttons for the cooking time, press start - and then it tells me what temperature it actually *is*, beeps when it hits the target temperature, and then beeps and turns itself off when it's done! And it has an oven light! I don't have to open the oven door to peer anxiously at the food to see if it's done yet, I can just turn on the oven light and peer anxiously through the big glass door (glass door!), except I don't even have to be anxious because I set the cooking time! And if I forget I'm cooking (don't ask), it'll just turn itself off anyway - I don't have to worry I'm going to burn down the house! I love this thing! (Hey, and then I can put all the prep dishes in the dishwasher! See (1).)

(6) Microwave. It has a light under it so I can see the oven controls on the stove. (Now that I have oven controls instead of just a scary dial that turns on the gas but not the fire because I had to light my old oven by waving a lighted match around inside the broiler drawer under the oven. You'll understand why (5) is so miraculous to me.) (Wait, wasn't (6) supposed to be about the microwave? When did it become about the stove?!)

(7) Countertop space. My old kitchen had 3' of countertop space. Make that 3' by 17". White formica with gold flecks and chrome edges and 60 years of cuts and stains. You didn't really want to prepare food on it. Now I have room for a coffee maker, a toaster oven, eventually a blender (so I can make further use of all that ice - see (2)), a couple of dirty dishes (wait! there are no dirty dishes - see (1)), and I still have room for food prep! Not to mention room to put down all the grocery bags - all at one time!

(8) Cabinet space. To put away all those groceries.

(9) Did I mention I have a dishwasher now? ;-)

(10) It's pretty!!! (It'll be prettier once it's painted and has window treatments, but it's even pretty unpainted!)

Comments (47)