SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kristinamonalisa

Just closed on an older home and homeowners policy was cancelled

KristinaMonaLisa
9 years ago

Six days ago, we closed on the house of our dreams, an older 1948 colonial that needs a bit of cosmetic work inside but nothing serious (old countertop in kitchen, some caulking, new cabinet hardware, easy peasy). The home sat vacant for a while while the previous owner (daughter of the original owner) was deciding what to do with it and a pipe burst in the upstairs bathroom. The leak was fixed (or so we thought, but that's not what this post is about), new bathrooms, new drywall, new paint, completely refinished original wood floors, no worries. The previous owner was generous enough to buy us a home warranty as a stipulation of our sale and give us a credit for some upgrades. But this morning I recieved a letter in the mail from our homeowner's insurance that they were cancelling our policy - after six days! They said there was an issue with the roof and that some tree branches were touching the roof. No pictures to show what 'roof issue' they were talking about - the roof was replaced in 2003 so it's still pretty new. Our inspector and the bank's appraiser found no issues with it. But now, I've called two other insurance companies and they won't cover us because we've been cancelled by another insurance company. I'm not sure where to turn - do I just start cold calling places and see if anyone will insure us? What happens if we can't get insurance? We haven't even paid our first mortgage payment yet!!!!

Comments (20)