SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sparklingwater_gw

8'6" ceilings-prefer not to-the-ceiling cabinetry

SparklingWater
11 years ago

I know almost all advise going to the ceiling in an 8'6" kitchen, but my spouse and I feel differently. With a total of 21 cabinet boxes and one separate tall pantry, we actually like a more reachable cabinetry concept and are comfortable with 36" or 39" with crown (9" vs 6" space above respectively).

I note that Omega, Crystal and Plain and Fancy Cabinetry show their superb cabinetry/finish in their brochures with not-to-the-ceiling cabinets/crowns. Standard entry door heights are present in some of these pictures-obviously others are 9' ceiling on.

Our 12'x 8' kitchen shares -via a 48" framed opening- an 11' x 8' adjacent room with a 72" butler pantry/ sink/bar area on one side, a 36" pantry on the other, and a 5' x 8' eat in space at the end with window. These two rooms offer a good amount of cabinetry and space which allows modern functional design and aesthetic form in this renovation.

I'd appreciate your comments as this well-discussed topic is one I wish to decide now (thanks to GW, I've read many pertinent threads) Our preference is not going to the ceiling: our cabinets will be white with excellent non-glossy finish and quality boxes and ample lighting in both rooms. Traditional colonial style home with central foyer, and long two room kitchen, adjacent dining room through pull open doors with two original 86" built-in traditional corner cabinets with crown moulding throughout house.

Thank you in advance for your thoughts.

Comments (14)

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional