SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sdionnemoore_gw

The Good, the bad, and the ugly

sdionnemoore
15 years ago

We're still waiting. For countertops. And to settle on our loan. It's a long story. Suffice it to say that we *did* settle last Friday, after six months of working on getting the house to a point where we could settle. Friday afternoon, we got a call that something was wrong with a deed (collateral) and they have to run it back through, blah, blah, so, being the generous and interest-only loan-loving bank that they are, they're extending our loan for six months in hopes that the deed problems will get straightened out by then. SIX MONTHS! I've already lived without countertops, sink, cooktop and dishwasher for six months, and we were looking forward to settlement so we could get our granite.

This is where you come in.

DH and I have talked about this whole six-more-months thing and we're considering just making temp counters out of plywood, a stain (just so it's not too ugly) and a food safe sealer so that we can have some semblance of normalcy and I'm not forced to wash dishes in my shower!

If you all have any suggestions that we haven't thought of (low, low cost options because, hey, whatever we put in is going to be ripped out in six months. I hope).

For those of you who will look at these pics and wonder, our problem with not being able to finish hanging wall cabinets is that one of our cabs comes down to the counter. AND, this cabinet is also on a tricky turn that requires some serious custom work. We only want to do this part of the cabinetry once (since it's custom and that means $$), and I can live without those wall cabs for a while just as long as I can have a sink and DW and cooktop again.

Oh, and if we go the plywood route, does anyone want to sell a used single bowl drop in sink the same size as a TICOR S505 (Exterior Dimensions: 23" x 17-3/4" x 9" Interior Dimensions: 21" x 15-3/4" x 9) We'll have to do a drop in since we wouldn't be able to use our undermount for the temporary setup.

Pics of our kitchen as it is now:

The wall with the funky corner (that I love!)

Island:

Comments (25)

• equest17
    15 years ago

We were considering a similar idea for temporary countertops. I found a self-adhesive vinyl contact paper with a granite look that is used over old laminate and desk tops. It's almost 27" wide, so it's plenty deep to cover the temporary plywood and wrap under, and it's suppose to be very durable. The best price I found was on eBay. We ended up getting our counters after all, so I didn't need it. The seller still has some listed under auction # 370153003385 if you're interested.

• laxsupermom
    15 years ago

First off - I'm so sorry you're going through this. Sympathetic hugs from NY(((((())))))))

Don't worry about your temp sink being the same size as your Ticor, because it's going into a temp counter the cutout doesn't have to be the same. Check out your local Habitat Restore or Craigslist for a used sink. Easy to find and super cheap.

We lived w/ plywood countertops for 4 1/2 months while I agonized over specific slabs. We entertained a houseful over Christmas with my ridiculous plywood counters. The soapstone was in my driveway at this point, but we made the decision to put it off until after the holidays so as not to be rushing through. Plywood is definitely "the ugly", but just keep reminding yourself that this is a hiccup and this too shall pass. You will be caressing your new counters soon enough.

• Related Discussions

The good, the bad and some ugly too!

Q

Comments (5)
    So true Seil, but it's soo hard. I'm sure by the time everyone is mature, I will have some I will have to move...but it looks so bare until then and I would rather spend the money on roses, that can grow in pots, for the smaller ones than fillers, which I have some of and am getting more :) Roses and other plants are so addictive! I just want one of everyone, especially my favorite, the dark purpley red :) Still looking for someone or somewhere to get Tour De Malakoff and I will be done :) If I'm not mistaking Pickering no longer ships to the US right? And there is one other place that has it called Azalea House Flowering Shrub Farm Has anyone ever heard of it or ordered from there?
    ...See More

The good, the bad, and the ugly

Q

Comments (1)
    Shame on them! I love this rose.
    ...See More

The good the bad and the ugly

Q

Comments (49)
    The link or pic didn’t come through, but that’s ok because I think ‘Heavenly Tiara’ is the clear winner! Not sure what the prize is........maybe I should mail order a new HT for you? However since the Tiaras are so prone to slug issues maybe you would choose something else! lol. All of your goods were really good! Love that chorus Girl!!
    ...See More

Time for “the good, the bad and the ugly.”

Q

Comments (26)
    The Good: This is a self-named streaker that I obtained from a friend. This one has Alligator Alley in it's lineage, and some OP. Been a solid performer and is holding up really well. Beyond Glory is new for me this year, looking great still in September Vulcan is looking great! Another favorite this year, The King, a nice division from a friend's display gardens Paisley Print holds up great Hans was a beautiful nursery plant purchased this year and looks amazing Foxfire Palm Sunday The Bad: Not a lot of bad ones here, but Night Before Christmas is pretty nasty looking The Ugly (I am classifying ones here that I think are really going to pop next year, but are having some first year struggles): My Gunther's Prize has limped through its first year, but survived bare root shipping, and a crazy squirrel population digging around and through it. Lots of hen manure seems to have abated the squirrel cartel. Another one that is going to be great (fingers crossed) is the self named Targaryen ((Mother of Dragons x OP) x OP)) x OP
    ...See More
  • equest17
    15 years ago

PS There's always IKEA laminate which is super cheap. Or maybe look at Habitat for Humanity Restore; they always have tons of laminate counters, some with drop-in sinks and faucets still mounted in them. It does look like you would have a lot of angles to cut, though. However, I guess you'd have to cut plywood the same way if you used it. Would you be using the plywood as underlayment for the future granite?

• Fori
    15 years ago

Polyurethane, when cured, is food safe. No, don't eat it, and if it chips or is cut on it's not good, but it'll give you a waterproof surface you can make a sandwich on.

But how cheap are we talking? Plywood isn't really. Prefab laminate might be better.

Here is a link that might be useful: lowe's for example

• bmorepanic
    15 years ago

The plywood thing sounds like a lot of work!

I'm guessing you're not near ikea. Their laminate counters are super cheap - lots cheaper than plywood. Sections of the already-in-stock counters at the big box store - it might be cheaper than the plywood and would work a bunch better. Just do enough so you don't go completely bonkers.

The other box store possible temp counter is wide pieces of white melamine covered particle board meant to become cabinet sides - instant counter by ironing on the front seam covering.

I think you could install your ticor as a drop in. Just do a nice latex caulk layer under where the rim will go over the counter and a couple of big pots on top of that for a day or so. You can pop the sink off when ready and scrape the caulk off. I think if you had an actual counter, you could mount your faucet.

Otherwise - get the cheapest sink they have! Heck, get an americast one. Anything that fits both your cabinet and has enough holes for your faucet. You might be able to donate it afterwards.

• harriethomeowner
    15 years ago

Try Freecycle, if you have it in your area. Ask if anyone wants to get rid of a sink/faucet/countertop/sheet of plywood. If you can pick it up, it's yours for free.

• ilovetn
    15 years ago

Wow, I sympathize with you! There was a time years ago when I washed dishes in the bathtub for quite a while. It wasn't easy, especially since we had only one bathroom.

Fast forward to late 2007. We bought an unfinished house in TN with the hopes of selling our home in FL. Since the economy tanked, that is not happening. Our home value has dropped almost $150,000 since then.

Meanwhile, we've spent all we can on the TN house. We got the floors and cabs in, but no appliances, counter, or woodwork for the stairs.

BUT, in the kitchen we have done some makeshift counters. My DH brought home a huge conference table that they were getting rid of where he works and we cut that down to put on the island and make a sink run. We used an old, discarded sink that I scrubbed up. Then, we came by a couple of pieces of 3/4' granite from which we were able to cut pieces for beside the range, which we purchased last Thanksgiving, and beside the pantry. It works. Not the best, but it works.

My advice would be to do what you can to make the kitchen useable, if not perfect. Scout around for some granite pieces. You may be able to pick them very reasonable. If not, you could probably get some prefab formica at one of the big box stores for what you would have in plywood, stain, and waterlox.

Above all, don't lose sight of what's really important. You have shelter from the cold gripping the nation and hopefully you are all well. This, too, shall pass. You are in my prayers.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: my unfinished kitchen

• plllog
    15 years ago

Oh, what a pain. No better suggestions here, but I remember when you were planning (I was away and am back), so when I opened the thread I was just pleased to see your pretty cabinets and your kitchen in process. It's a lovely kitchen, and will be lovelier when everything can be finished. Good luck with your interim solutions.

• crashboombang
    15 years ago

We moved in before we had countertops, and our contractor actually mounted our undermount sink as a drop-in for temporary puropses (it had enough of a lip to mount this way, and may have also been 'propped' from below - can't remember for sure). We actually had MDF for our counters. It's pretty cheap, I think. We only put it on enough of the counters to have the sink and some decent workspace - not everywhere. We did this for several weeks. It did start to swell a little where we had water spills, etc. so I certainly would not expect it to look wonderful after 6 months and don't know about the longevity of MDF used in this way, but it worked fine for our situation. I just had a few cutting boards that I used for actual food prep stuff, so that I didn't have to put the food on the temporary counter. Maybe you could cover the surface of plywood or MDF with something relatively cheap like a vinyl tablecloth from Walmart wrapped around and stapled to the bottom side of the "counter?" That could at least have food set on it and be wiped off, even though you couldn't cut on it - just a thought, maybe it wouldn't work though. Hope that helps, and good luck!

• bluekitobsessed
    15 years ago

Try your local craigslist for the sink.

IMO an honestly temporary solution is better than a cheap semi-permanent solution. I lived with plywood countertops for about a month before the granite went in, and I wouldn't feel horrible about doing it again if I knew it would only be six months (although I'd certainly avoid entertaining during those 6 months).

I would definitely invest in cutting boards/mats.

Cabinets look great, btw -- I remember your agony over the color, and it looks like you found the best one!

• ccoombs1
    15 years ago

What a pain!! I am sorry this is on your shoulders right now. I know how anxious you are to get that kitchen done. Love your cabinets....the look a lot like mine. I was almost in the position of having to do temporary countertops until I could afford granite, and I was going to use butcherblock from IKEA. An 8' long section of birch butcherblock countertop is only $79 and it looks fantastic! You could finish it with Waterlox and make it waterproof.

Here is a link that might be useful: IKEA butcher block

• pbrisjar
    15 years ago

Just keep an eye out on your local craigslist free section. Since this is temporary it doesn't really mater a whole bunch what it looks like - just get a section of counter and a sink and plop it on for now. Where I am there's at least a couple posted every day.

Sorry you're having to deal with this.

• sdionnemoore
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks you all! I really wish we had an IKEA near us, but we don't. Closest is in Baltimore, I think. Craigslist is a bomb in our area, unfortunately, so we don't get an abundance of deals on a regular basis. But, you all have confirmed what I was thinking about my TICOR. It does have a generous lip, bmorepanic. . .I think I will drop it in and use it, that'll save some $$.

Prefab laminate might work. One question. My cooktop section is bumped out 6". I guess that means we have to piece the laminiate on either side. How do we hide the gap in the back of the actual cooktop section? Maybe we shouldn't fuss over it at all, huh?

ilovetn--wow, I really feel your pain. Our properties (rentals) have dropped in value, though not as much as your home. Still, it's a frustrating time to be in when those extra dollars would come in handy. Your home is lovely and I lOVE the stone FP. Wow! Can I visit? :)

Equest--I look into the vinyl. The tablecloths are an idea, too. I guess, in my anxiousness to be "normal" again (sigh), I was wanting a temporary solution that didn't holler TEMPORARY!.

I'm so dumb. :)

• ccoombs1
    15 years ago

Oh....here's another idea. Go talk to your granite fabricator. They do a lot of tear-outs of countertops (mostly laminate, some corian) and they just go in the garbage. I know my granite guy has at least a dozen complete kitchen countertops in his scrap bin. They would love for you to haul them off!

• charlikin
    15 years ago

No new suggestions to offer, but just wanted to express sympathy for your situation. It's going to be a pain, but eventually it'll all get resolved and you'll be able to finish your kitchen properly. It *is* looking gorgeous so far, so hang in there!!!

• kitchenredo2
    15 years ago

Where are you located? We are going to demo our kitchen this weekend and you are welcome to our countertops (laminate, circa 1959, yet functional).

• bmorepanic
    15 years ago

I wish I had more to offer. Being without a kitchen sink is one of the things that drives me completely insane. I cannot imagine 6 months worth.

• katiee511
    15 years ago

I was going to offer ours too, at demo. But it sounds like you might be near Baltimore you said? We are outside Indianapolis.

I went to our Home Show today and while there spoke with a rep from Habitat for Humanity Restore. We are donating parts of our kitchen and she said they would let us know if there is anything they don't need, because they have too many right now. I was thinking she might be referring to our laminate counters because everyone seems to be getting rid of them. Do you have a Restore near you?

• rosie
    15 years ago

Absolutely, plywood! Great solution. Waterlox it, invite friends to leave grafiti, decoupage a rose garden, indulge that secret taste for chartreuse. Whatever.

Back in the 70s (my gosh, THAT long ago?) a very well to do relative in Beverly Hills refused to blow money on temporary counters, but she had the whole holiday entertaining season coming up, so she horrified her designer by covering the undercounter with contact paper. Then had fun showing it off to everyone. You have fun too.

• sdionnemoore
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Equest! I just realized I had a question for you, so I hope you come back to this thread. :) You asked me if we were using plywood for under the granite. What did you mean by that? Is that a consideration for 2cm granite?

Thanks for the super fun suggestion, Rosie. It made me smile, and that felt real good. ;) Thanks for offering your demos to me, ladies. Indianapolis is a stretch. LOL! Kitchenredo, I live about 30 minutes North of Hagerstown, MD.

• ilovetn
    15 years ago

Sdionnemoore

Of course you can visit. . .whenever we get to live there! In fact, if things don't change, we may be renting it by the week! :D Only 45 minutes from Asheville.

Thank you for the kind comments. The fireplace is another thing that is not finished. We still need a mantle. The one you saw is another "temporary." We think it is too small. Our granddaughter's new husband laid the stone.

Let us all know what you decide for counters. You've been given some good suggestions.

Carol

• pbrisjar
    15 years ago

If you have 2 cm granite, you have to have a plywood underlayment. Or at least that's what I've been told and it's what we have. 2 cm is fairly common out here in California.

• kitchenredo2
    15 years ago

I'm about 30 minutes west of Baltimore in Howard County. Let me know if you are interested and I will post photos of them in all their glory for you to see!

• sdionnemoore
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you for all your suggestions. pbrisjar, that is very interesting about needing plywood underlayment. I think 3cm is common around here. It would be wonderful to think I could put down plywood and then actually make use of it for underlayment of the slab. I'm not sure how to search for a granite person in our area willing to do 2cm. How thick would the plywood underlayment be for a 2cm counter? Does it show?

kitchenredo2, you're so kind. Thanks for offering your laminate, but I'm thinking we're going to go with the plywood. Since we have that 6" bumpout, and we might have to live with this for 6 months, I need, for my sanity's sake, to have it look "together." It's been a long haul and I'm ready to be normal again. Even if it's only temporary. :)

• kitchenredo2
    15 years ago

No problem, I think I'd probably go with the plywood as well if I had to live with it for 6 months. Good luck and just think once you have your countertop this will just be a distant memory.....

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations