SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joyfulguy

Some additional thoughts related to the Newtown school shooting

joyfulguy
11 years ago

There were 20 children, most of them quite young, killed in the Newtown school killing. Six school-related adults were killed there, as well, which, when added to the shooter's mother's killing, makes 27 , apart from the shooter.

I thought that it was something over 100 times that many, at over 2,900, under 3,000, who were killed in the destruction of the Twin Towers on 9-11, just over 10 years ago.

We have made a huge, and ongoing, fuss about those killings, and they have been etched into the psyche of U.S. people, and other westerners, as well.

There were quite a number killed in the London Underground during their bombing, as well. I don't recall how many - do you? It's rather fair to say, I think, that that caused much less of an ongoing memory on this side of the Atlantic.

Those killings were pretty well on our turf. And we in North American countries have not had the destruction and maiming of life and property which many other parts of the world have suffered - the only ones that we had to deal with were home-grown.

The stated reasons for the second edition of the war in Iraq were that they had weapons of mass destruction, which we feared that the terrorists might get their hands on, and that some of the terrorists were staying in Iraq, though some said that Saddam wanted no truck with terrorists, for he knew that they wanted to install islamic regimes, and his, being a secular one, would be targetted, so he wasn't about to have them anywhere near.

Have we ever heard any estimates of how many casualties there may have been in Iraq as a result of that war ... and its aftermath?

I've heard estimates of 100,000 ... or possibly up to double that number. In any case, a very large number, when we think of comparisons.

When people in other parts of the world ask us how many people of their kind do we figure that it takes to be equal in value to one ... or a hundred ... of ours ...

... what kind of a reasonable answer can we give them?

ole joyful

Comments (2)

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals