SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
columbusguy1

4x4 Pressure Treated Question

columbusguy1
11 years ago

Background: The big storm at the end of June took out my 100 year old tree (it was leaning on the house--only needed to replace 7 shingles!). It also took off most of the remaining roofing on half of my 1908 garage.

Plan was to repair the roof, but turns out it would be better to tear down the most damaged half, and reframe one wall to give something half the size--I don't need an 18x22 garage, once all the junk was cleared out--so, I would have half that size garage, and the other half of the pad used for parking (a university area, so game days mean no street parking for residents).

Now the fun started: garage half gone, code inspector happened by--and said we couldn't use the other half since it was badly damaged by termites in addition to occasional leaks--not to mention one wall having been knocked off the foundation before I moved in. So, garage is entirely gone, leaving nice empty pad, and no place to store garden tools or lawn mower!

After days/weeks of investigation, I thought a kit might be the answer--a simple, 8x12 garden shed with 8 foot sidewalls, a double door on the alley side, a single door on the house side...one small barn sash would be nice, right? Let's just say, looking at all local companies in Columbus, Ohio and the big-box stores...I don't want to spend nearly 2k to get a basic box which would need additional framing to make it not blow away.

Seeing a kit I could live with, I read the instruction sheet online, and the comments. Even I know that 2x3 lumber is crap, and this thing was made of it--one comment was to upgrade to 2x4 framing...and I thought--then I'm stuck with about half a kit which is junk.

Inspiration! Price materials to see if it would be cheaper! Boy was it--if I used 2x4 framing, it would cost about $400 since I had the shingles and paint already. Simple task to frame walls, but LOTS of cutting, nailing and lifting!

Second inspiration! Why not use pt 4x4s for the frame--no major hassles cutting 2x4s. Notch a few spots and it's all set to fit together--if I want to go crazy and use dowels--otherwise big ass nails or screws.

Here's the problem: since the shed will be 8x12 feet, and eight feet high walls, I need to know what distance I can span with a 4x4--I've looked at spanning tables and most don't mention 4x4s that I can find. With sheathing being 4x8, I will need to inset a 2x4 in the long sides to but the sheathing together...will one be enough to break the 12' length into a 4' and an 8' section...or should I inset two on 4' centers? Top and bottom plates are 4x4s as are the corner posts.

Similar question goes for the rafters--but I'm pretty sure I will be spacing the 4x4s there on 4' centers just for strength and nailing purposes

Comments (21)