SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardenwebber

Demo pics, preliminary questions

gardenwebber
16 years ago

Hi all! We have started demo. I will keep all my preliminary questions in this thread, and I will try not to start a new thread unless the topic changes dramatically (or heavy pic load, whichever comes first!)

So, to recap, we started out with a kitchen/dining room combo and a separate formal DR that we use as a playroom. We took the wall out in the kitchen/DR combo making one large kitchen then recently took almost all plaster and lathe back to the studs in the combined kitchen/DR plus the formal DR. (we also gutted a couple rooms upstairs while we were at it, but that is definitely another thread!)

Anyways, behind our plaster and lather, we uncovered our venting for our gas hot water heater:

View from kitchen side:

{{!gwi}}

View from formal DR side:

{{!gwi}}

We were thinking of taking out this gas hot water heater and replacing with electric so that we can get rid of that ductwork, and then build in a pantry in the kitchen instead of housing a vent.

From a design perspective, this will leave an irregular bump out in the dining room. But, that bump out will be somewhat concealed by the china cabinet that will go on the adjacent wall to the bumpout (you may be able to visualize this in my 2nd pic.)

From a storage/space/function perspective, this will give us more storage in the kitchen (pantry would be roughly 36" deep, tapering on one side, and about 18" deep) plus it will remove another bump out we have in our upstairs hallway that is very annoying (the vent runs through both floors out the roof)

Any opinions about whether this is a wise trade-off? We could also remove the vent completely and forget the pantry if the bump out in the DR would be a bad idea, or leave it there and keep the gas hot water heater if going from gas to electric would not be wise financially. (we live in the Northeast and are a family of 5)

Any thoughts?

Here is a thread of my very first thread and my kitchen design journey, in case anyone is curious (heavy with pics):

Here is a link that might be useful: The beginning

Comments (4)