SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kikibutler

Doing the right thing?

kikibutler
15 years ago

Hi, I've been lurking for a bit, and thought this may be the best place to get some input because you all seem very friendly, helpful, caring and supportive in your responses. (hope this is the correct forum for this too!)

The secondary school where I work is having some problems with misconduct between some teachers (who have now been arrested) and students.

There is going to be a big hearing about the findings of an investigation to see if the school will be severely reprimanded, people in administration removed from their positions, etc.

I don't have any direct knowledge about the misconduct, but I do have an opinion about the school environment and how certain things seems to be overlooked depending on who is involved, and I do have personal experience with how investigations have been done in the past by the school administration.

One assistant veep flat out lied about something, and the same veep also made a mockery of an investigation by questioning two students together (involved in a different issue about he-said, she-said relative to a teacher), rather than separately, AND the same veep did NOT question the other teacher who was in the room at the time as a witness. Anyway, that veep has since gone elsewhere.

I shared my opinion & personal knowledge (not disclosing my name out of fear) with the investigative committee about the two incidences because I have direct and personal knowledge of them, and of how the school mis-handled them.

I believe I did the right thing when I shared my opinion and personal knowledge, because I thought and thought about it, prayed on it, and decided I would feel better for having said something, and let the committee make the decision. The school climate is such that you are targeted if you don't show support for the administration.

I feel very alone as I hear people getting on the school's bandwagon, showing support so the admin sees who shows up to the hearing. A lot of people are new and trying to keep their jobs. It's like if you don't show up or are heard talking how much you support the school and how incompetent the investigation is, you may be in danger of getting your walking papers. I just say nothing.

I think of it as a matter of doing the right thing by adding more information, versus loyalty. It wasn't easy. I'd appreciate some warm fuzzies, and if I am waaaay off base, please be gentle in correcting me.

Thankyou,

Kay

Comments (9)