SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ericasj

Questions for people who use scanners

ericasj
17 years ago

I just ordered one! :) I have a two-drawer file cabinet, a portable file box, and some things in binders--and that's all the space I want to allocate to paper. I've purged a lot recently, but I'm still feeling overwhelmed. Hence, the scanner.

Here's what I have in mind for the so far:

Storing info without creating paper to begin with, i.e., scanning instead of photocopying. Such as copies of rebate forms, receipts and UPC codes.

Reference material that I don't refer to much, but still want on hand. Like instruction booklets for appliances, and gardening info from cooperative extension that they don't have online.

My big question is, when it comes to financial and medical records, how much is it safe to rely on scanning? What kinds of things do you keep in paper form, because someone down the line might not accept an electronic version of something? How do the IRS, hospitals and insurance companies feel about scanned documents?

Also, for me there's the issue of keeping certain things in paper form in case DH or my mother had to deal with them, if something happened to me. Neither one is computer-savvy. To me, it will be great to have PDF documents on a CD-R or flash drive, which could be grabbed and taken along in a disaster situation like Hurricane Katrina. But if I were indisposed, they might need things in paper form. (I suppose if they took the CD-Rs to someone like an accountant, they could figure it out.)

So, any thoughts on what you feel are good and bad candidates for scanning without paper back-up?

Comments (12)