SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dreamhouse1_gw

Homecoming...for freshman

dreamhouse1
14 years ago

I can't speak for any other part of the country, but here in Texas, football is a big thang and homecoming even bigger.

It seems that I have become the house of choice for hosting the 'pre' party, and, yes, I understand there will be an 'after' party as well; my daughter still a bit miffed about not getting my vote on that one! The dance ends at midnight....after party! PLEEEEASE! They are 14 and 15 for heaven's sake, by senior prom what will it be!! Never mind, I'm still a little sticker shocked from shelling out for the 'garter' for the date and even more shocked by what I learned in the "Homecoming Store" by what is expected by senior year for a mum...a triple mum with a teddy bear, the bear also having a mum of his own to go with his custom t-shirt....$185+ the lady next to me was paying!!! I have twins that will be seniors soon. Forget college fund, I need a fund for all the carp it takes to get them there!

Ok, sorry, back to the real subject....

They will convene here at 6:00 for pictures and appetizers until around 6:30-6:45; dinner at 7:00, leave for dance at around 8.

They have requested steaks on the grill and some kind of potato.

So, appetizers, a salad course, steak, potato, another veggie and dessert....all teenager friendly. My daughter is very food friendly, the others, maybe not so much. I'm figuring about 10-15 kids.

The challenge: I want it to 'appear' sophisticated without it being 'wierd' to the not so food savy kids.

Your suggestions are greatly, GREATLY appreciated! I'm thinking some kinds of 'stacked' potato thing, like in a ramekin and unmolded. Some kind of 'wow-wie' dessert as far as presentation (hopefully made in advance so I can enjoy some fun too). How about kid friendly appetizers??

Linda? Ann? Anyone and everyone, you are all invited to the challenge!!

THANKS in advance....as always!!

Comments (14)

• riverrat1
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Whoo Hoo! High School football (or Soccer in my case) is a huge deal. I loved the after homecoming thangs! I really wanted my child, and everyone else's child, in a loving home that watched after them. We had other parents here to patrol the area as we cooked and had fun with the kids. BTW, we didn't do teddy bears...lol!

I always hosted the after party at our home. Always consisted of 3 different kinds of breakfast casseroles, grits, different cheeses, OJ, milk, soda, water and plenty of bread with butter.

I've not served steaks to a large group of teenagers but I would treat it the same as you would for adults.

Have fun and I would think about having 3 different desserts...fruit, chocolate and something dippy. Like apples and a peanut butter dip.

• lindac
    14 years ago

Well you need mock-tails in real cocktail glasses.
    Make up names like something to do with the school's mascot or something. Make a punch of 7-up and cranberry juice with perhaps a bit of grenadine...or maybe Cream soda layered in a glass with a bit of cream and chocolate syrup on the rim...or maybe a strawberry mock-marguarita.
    Hors d'ouvres little smokies in BBQ sauce, rollups, chicken wings, those mini-quiches that you just heat and eat.
    And I wouldn't try steaks...I would do kebobs...make ahead...but the kids won't eat a lot, they will be too excited.
    So I would thread chunks of sirloin on skewers and marinate in a soy sauce brown sugar and garlic marinade....and serve oven baked potatoes....just peel and chunk ( big chunks) potatoes, par boil briefly ( 8 to 10 minutes) and rill in butter and EVOO and season and bake until nice and brown.
    For a veggie...green beans...or corn.
    A good basket of breads...simple salad if you must ( kids won't care!) and a wowser dessert...maybe something flamed....maybe an orange bundt cake, drizzled with dark chocolate and then brought to the table with the flaming sugar cube in the center of the cake, You could also have a bowl of pre made and frozen ice-cream balls to serve with it..
    How about cream puffs? Croquembush? spelling? That tower of cream puffs..
    But brownies with chocolate ice-cream and chocolate sauce are always good too.
    Remember though it's really all about the ambiance....a fancy table...candles low lights...a nicely served meal....and the food doesn't much matter as long as it's not "yucky".
    Have fun but don't pull out all the stops....there are a few years to go and you need to have some ideas in reserve!
    Linda C

• annie1992
    14 years ago

Dreamhouse, I can't tell you how darned happy I was when I bought that last Prom dress for Ashley, my youngest daughter. And that's without a Teddy Bear.

Her class did decide their Senior year that Homecoming would be "casual". The theme was Country/Western and everyone wore jeans, boots and hats. Of course, the boots cost me nearly what a dress would have, she couldn't wear her WORK boots to Homecoming! I told her the horse manure would just make it more authentic, but she wasn't buying it, LOL.

Anyway, I think if I were doing steak for that many kids, I'd go with something like ribeye, boneless will make for easier eating and less chance of something getting dripped onto a dress or tux. It's also easy to grill to order with individual steaks. Potatoes? Either individual gratins, or if you are feeling fancy, timbales with layers of white potatoes and sweet potatoes, baked in ramekins or muffin cups are pretty. I think Sol or Ann T is the one that does the lovely swirled/piped potatoes, mashed then baked golden. If I were doing it, I'd probably just go with twice baked, they're easy and kids always like them. Loaded baked potatoes, if you like.

Crusty rolls, and whatever salad you think the kids would like, maybe that salad with the beets and oranges, or something with greens, pears, walnuts.

Crusty rolls to go with the steak, maybe, and for a vegetable maybe something in casserole form, like that corn custard that Joe (Gardenguru) posted.

Desserts are always good. I'd do a fruit tart with a shortbread crust and cream cheese filling or Ann T's white chocolate raspberry tart. Something chocolate? I did a really rich "buckeye" cake with a peanut butter filling and it was rich, sweet and decadent. Maybe cheesecake? Or maybe a table of small bite sized sweets would be nice, individual dark chocolate petit fours, tarts filled with lemon curd, cheesecake truffles, chocolate covered strawberries....

Appetizers too? Skewers of cherry tomatoes, mozzarella chunks and basil are nice, drizzled with a bit of balsamic, add olives if you like. Melon wrapped with proscuitto or bruschetta on toasted slices of baguette or Chase's spanakopita if you think you can pass off the spinach on a bunch of 'em.

Have a great time, and take a LOT of pictures. It won't be enough, no matter how many you take. You're a braver woman than I am, I had Ashley's friends here and they had spaghetti, garlic bread, salad and Texas Sheet Cake!

Annie

• gbsim1
    14 years ago

Having a pool and hot tub, we always wound up as the after party spot! And we were known for having lots of good photo op spots so we were the pre dance photo place too! Though I never did the meal.... our kids always went to a restaurant.

Non culinary advice first: Have your photo spots all lined up in advance. Chairs set up etc be prepared with a back up plan for rain and depending on your time zone, be sure you have enough daylight for outside pics. Have a spot or two where everybody gets their picture taken as a couple. Another spot where small groups can gather for some photos and a spot where you do a huge group picture as well as one with all the girls and one with just the guys. We have a big staircase and would line them all up on the stairs and along the back of the pool by the planters.

Find or buy something that makes your single photo spot sort of special.... some mums or other flowers, or even a big stuffed version of the HS mascot. Consider doing something fun.... for kicks I bought 14 pink flamingos that live in my attic who fly down and flock at one end of the pool. The kids LOVED getting a picture in the middle of the flock! (You can't see them in the formal shots).

The first year I did this, I had a hard time realizing that I had to be VERY definite about telling them where to go and what to do! I felt a bit like the photo-Nazi, it was like "herding cats". After four sons and goodness knows how many years, it was hilarious when the last two years of my youngest son's proms and homecomings, we had a couple of big brothers and sisters who came to be the photographers for their younger siblings. Those photographers had once been on the other side of the lens at my house in their younger days and they were so funny ordering the kids around and shuffling them from one spot to the next!!

They WILL be late!! Accept this.... and be prepared. They'll be taking pics at date pick up time, forget corsages etc. Invariably they will dribble in sloooowly. About the only way to get around this is to NOT do a date pickup by the guys. Have the girls arrive under their own steam with their parents and the guys do the same and meet at the the photo house to pin on corsages etc. Since I had all boys, I never hosted one this way but was involved once and it worked great!

So food.....I doubt that they'll eat much in the way of appetizers so don't go overboard! Simple, but beautifully presented will get them everytime. A tray of chocolate dipped strawberries is always a huge hit. I usually had something to drink that was set out for anyone who wanted something (sodas and some sort of punch). Don't forget to offer this to the paparazzi (parents taking photos too) as they'll really appreciate it!

Awesome punch that everyone loves is to take the big cans of pineapple juice and apple juice and toss them in the freezer a few days ahead. Party night take them out about 3 hours before. When they will slide out of the can, slide one of each into your punch bowl and pour some Sprite over. It will turn into a sort of slushy and you can keep adding Sprite as needed as the big hunks melt..... everyone LOVES this punch and it is SO easy!

For the real meal, I'd lean toward baked potatoes with all of the fixings for a side instead of the potato ramekins. A huge salad in a beautiful big bowl so that they could serve themselves. For the veggie you could do green bean bundles (wrapped in bacon or a red bell pepper strip.) For dessert, how about little individual chocolate mousse that you've done ahead of time in crystal glasses?

Have fun!!!

Grace

• gbsim1
    14 years ago

Just to clarify... the juice for the punch is the nonrefrigerated big tall metal cans of actual juice NOT the cardboard cans of frozen concentrate.

• dreamhouse1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I knew you all would come through!

I'm not sweating the drinks as we have a frozen drink machine and we will make something there...mock bellinis, ritas, whatever flavor DD decides.

I'm liking the idea of several small desserts presented on one plate, a little fruit (tart), a little chocolate (mousse), maybe a citrus or mini cheesecake. Of course DD wants a flaming baked Alaska, yeah right....as Linda says, you gotta save something for senior prom!

Mini quiches are a great idea too for the appetizers as is the piped potato thing. Thanks for reminding me about bread, duh! Salad? Hmmmm, can't decide if I should bother, will they eat it if its not Romaine and Ranch??

Thanks for the photo tips. We will set-up a couple of places, one in and one out, maybe two in.

Pretty sure our dining room will hold them all without any problem. DH works for a dealership and we will have cars and drivers shuttling the kids around, parents just have to get them here on time and take their pix.

I'll be sure to take lots of pix and try my darnedest to post them.

Thanks for the great ideas, keep 'em coming!

• jojoco
    14 years ago

I might be tempted to do a potato bar, w/ baked potatoes and then all the fixings. You could have shredded cheese, bacon pieces, sour cream, butter, chives,... the list goes on. Let each kid make their own.
    You're an awesome mom to do this, really.

jo

• monkeymamaof4
    14 years ago

It is really nice to see how many of you moms out there provide a safe beginning and/or ending to High School activitities. My DH is the AD at our high school and none of the parents do this. My parents did when I was in school and even though our house is smaller, I plan on doing this when my kids get older and are in activities.

Stacie

• khandi
    14 years ago

We don't do none of that around here. Never heard of it before! Sounds good though. A lot of fun!

As for senior prom here, the school organizes everything for the supper, picture locations, dance, etc.

A lot of kids opt to NOT attend the dance and make plans of their own (a party elsewhere).

Some high schools have the dance the same night after the ceremony/supper, and some schools have the ceremony/supper one night and the dance the next night.

• brenda55
    14 years ago

First, where in TX (I'm in San Antonio)? I've BTDT, too and enjoyed every minute of it. I agree with LindaC about grilling kabobs -- both steak and also some with chicken and then alternate with the usual veggies. You can marinate before hand. I'd also vote with Annie's twice baked potatoes, you can make them snazzy by piping in filing, etc. I also like the idea of the plate of miniature desserts.

Are your appetizers going to be plated or served standing after arrival?

I'd try to incorporate the school colors, if possible, in some of the food, setting, etc. especially with it being homecoming. We were purple and gold and had alot of fun with that. A little off topic, but for an athletic party early December, I got the clear glass ornament balls and gold and purple paint, squeezed a little of each color and swirled and it made great keepsake ornaments for them with their name on a tag around the ball, oh and food was Olive Garden type salad, lasagna, rolls and cheesecake, simple.

Whatever you do, do as much in advance as you can so you can enjoy the night too.

Brenda

• dreamhouse1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Brenda, I'm in The Woodlands, just north of Houston.

Yes, decided on twice baked potatoes w/piped in filling and mini dessert plate. Appetizers will be served standing before and during the photo op.

Will be sure to do school colors on the table and thought I would write their class of 2013 on their dessert plates with chocolate. Still working on party favors.

Thanks for your help and encouragement!

• lascatx
    14 years ago

Dreamhouse, I wondered where you were located -- I figured Homecoming Stores were not that common since I saw two ladies from Clear Lake there when I went. It is a shocker the first time around. I looked for them last year and had no idea how much things had changed since we were in high school and what the protocol was. I'm glad I got the shock out of the way last year so I can just do it this year.

I have a son, so I'm doing a mum for a junior -- triple with teddy bear, but in colors. The senior one will be all white. My youngest will be a freshman next year, so I will get double whammied. Maybe I can bribe him to go stag for a couple of years. LOL

The pre-party for my son last year was a gathering and photo op at a friend's house and then they went out to dinner. Similar plans this year. I would enjoy doing a dinner/pre-party for them though. Hope they all have a great time.

• Terri_PacNW
    14 years ago

We don't do all that here either...

I'd happily host a pre and/or post party..but my kid (Senior) has NEVER gone to a formal(dressing up is NOT his thing, he's always wanted as a date though)...I think he did Tolo(Sadie Hawkins) as a Freshman....I think...

However, his girl friend is planning on asking him to her Homecoming tomorrow..she wants in to the house to "decorate" his room. LOL She has half day tomorrow at her HS.

Never heard of a Homecoming store, of this mum and teddy bear thing. Hmmpfh..learn something new every day..

However I did start working part time, just because of Senior expenses. LOL Thank goodness the next one is 5 years behind.

• Terri_PacNW
    14 years ago

I think a brownie or cake made in a sheet pan, and then cut out with an oval or round shaped cookie cutter, layered with some fresh red berries, a bit of fudge or caramel sauce drizzled and a dollop of whipped cream...

Appetizers..my kids love chicken satay type things. Or skewers of some sort...I think I would avoid dipping sauces..just for "Drip" factor danger..so anything well seasoned and not drippy. Ritz type crackers, few different cheeses and pepperoni or salami slices.

Maybe for the potatoes...2 bite twice baked...I like doing them with red or other waxy spuds. You could prep them, pipe into the shells and pan them..them bake off closer to dinner.