SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vacuumfreak

journey through chicken pot pie :o) (pic heavy)

vacuumfreak
13 years ago

I wanted to make a chicken pot pie today, as I haven't done any real cooking in while and wanted to make something I can heat up before work and reduce my reliance convenience foods. I thought it would be fun to take pictures of the process to share.

Before I could start, I had to get my cookbook ready. This is the only cookbook I regularly use. It ran out of battery in the middle of the process and shut off on me, but I'd already read ahead and knew what to do. Oops... I lied, I use the cell phone sometimes to pull up internet recipes because it is more portable, but it goes to sleep too quickly and I have to touch it with dirty fingers so I can wake it back up and see what to do next. I did not follow the recipe exactly, just used it as a guideline.

First things first, the vegetables. I didn't want to cut a lot, so I bought a bag of mixed vegetables. Of course they had green beans in them, so I spent 20 minutes picking those out and throwing them away. Yucko! I was going to throw in an onion, but my onion had gone moldy (2 weeks old, not refrigerated) and I'm not that crazy about them anyway. I also didn't include celery.... I don't hate it, but I don't love it either, and wasn't about to go to the store just to buy an ingredient I feel neutral about.

Then the sauce/gravy. Just butter, milk, and broth... I never keep store bought broth on hand, but picked up some a few weeks ago on a whim. Glad I did now! I added salt and pepper to this, but nothing else. So glad I got some cheap metal whisks, they do such a better job than the silicone one I tried to get by with for years for getting lumps out of gravy. I tasted the gravy and it was really good!

Luckily, I'd boiled some chicken quarters the night before last, in preparation for this pot pie. Those large square plastic tubs have been so handy for storing things like that and leftovers. Also handy for peelings... whenever I peel over the trash can, peels end up all over the floor, and end up dropping the vegetable in instead! Once, I threw the peeler in mistake and had to go dumpster diving to retrieve it.

Then onto the crust. I learned some time ago that the only way to make a crust is in the food processor. I couldn't find my trusty recipe, so I hopped on Google to help. Had a bit of trouble finding a recipe that didn't include shortening (I don't use/keep it... I used to, but after the last tub went rancid, I decided I could get better tasting food and have more room in the pantry without shortening being part of my life), but finally did. I was able to use my thrift store rolling pin that you fill with ice water for the first time. I like it much better than the silicone one I've had for years, and the weight of the ice water helped me to not have to press so hard on the dough.... I let the rolling pin do the work. Of course Jasper was keeping a watchful eye on me the whole time to help... he was hoping I'd drop some chicken on the floor (I did, actually, but I'll likely clean the kitchen before his majesty arises from slumber to find it... he doesn't get people food anyway, so I don't know if he'd even try to eat it). I was going to cheat and buy the crust, but I didn't put it on the list the last time I went to market, so it didn't come home with me. Besides, I was cheating with frozen vegetables and store bought stock anyway. Buying the crust would have been complete cooking blasphemy. I had to make the crust twice. The first time, the butter got too warm and it tore every time I tired to roll it... that process make me overwork the dough and it would have been tough, so I threw it away and started over with a different recipe that used more water and less butter. The first recipe was 2 cups of flour, 1 and a half sticks of butter and 4 tablespoons of ice water. The second was 2 cups of flour, 1 stick of butter, and 1/3 cup of ice water. Both also included a dash of salt, but the 2nd recipe seemed to work better. I read about a crust recipe that uses vodka (here, I think), but I only had vanilla vodka on hand and didn't think it would go well with a chicken pot pie. Maybe an apple pie, but not chicken! It did, however, work well as a beverage while I was making the pie :o) You can see my glass of coke and vodka in the background in the last picture.

I guess this is what coarse meal looks like!

Then add the veggies and gravy to the crust.

Ready for the oven now. My trademark is an ugly crust edge that always falls during baking, so why should this time be any different. I'm not entering a contest anyway :o)

Finished product. It just came out of the oven... I tasted it. It could have used more salt, but I'm very conservative with salt now because I've ruined things by adding too much (crab cakes, mashed potatoes, you name it). I can add some to each serving if I want. The texture of the crust is perfect. The edges got a little dark, but the silicone pie crust protector thingy always deforms them, so I didn't use it... I don't need any help with making deformed edges, that's the only thing I do perfectly!

I'll give someone the whole darn thing if they come clean this disaster up for me, I don't have the energy!

:o)

Comments (20)