SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tsherman_gw

Bill V (or other tile experts) joint at countertop and backsplash

tsherman
14 years ago

Contractor installed my travertine backsplash yesterday - it's a combo of 2x2(on mesh sheet) and 3x6s brink joint. Two concerns:

1. 2x2 has (1/8th" ?) joint and they jammed the 3x6s together as close as possible.

2. Bottom row of backsplash is 2x2 - which they laid directly on top of the countertop. I clarified there would not be grout in the gap, but there doesn't even seem to be room for caulk. They said they planned to use a small bead of caulk, but that they'd use their own caulk (which I'm sure won't match exactly) because "it goes on better than the kind from the tile store".

I am feeling very uncomfortable with their ability/judgement. I have asked them to pull the 3x6s off and us a joint consistent with the 2x2 joint. They are not pleased, but are doing it. I am less sure about the space under the bottom of of tile. Is this unacceptable as well? Is there a kind of caulk they should (or should not) use?

I need a non-emotional/educated voice of reason (which is clearly not available in my house at this time...)

Comments (6)