SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ks_toolgirl

Shellac questions, now

ks_toolgirl
12 years ago

This is regarding the floor in my previous post, called "Den" in inspection report - we usually call it the Middle Room, as PO's chopping up 1st floor basically turned it into a big hallway.

Since the finish on floor seems to be shellac, I'd like to apply another coat. Is there any reason why this wouldn't be a good idea? It's a very dark finish - almost a walnut shade where it's not worn off as much. If I match the dark shade, will I lose the foot traffic path completely? I like it to show - it's a reminder of all the things that make an old house feel good to be in, if that makes sense. If I don't match the old finish closely, will it look like a Calico? (Fine for a cat - half black, half orange.. Not a fir floor tho).

I was browsing the wood finish section at the store, drooling like a saint bernard browsing the meat counter - until I noticed the price of shellac! (I became more like a cocker spaniel I once knew with a nervous bladder!). I didn't leave a puddle on the floor, but I did leave that store to do a little more thinking. (About getting a part-time job @ Dairy Queen, & how many hours would I have to work to pay for enough shellac to do 2 rooms...).

So I'm curious, did price of shellac go up because it became less popular? Or did it become less popular because it was expensive & cheaper alternatives were available? Is there a beetle shortage?

Now, the shameful part... Before I knew better - still beating myself up over this - I completely stripped the built-in cabinet in this room. Something HAD to be done, 4 or 5 sloppy layers of paint, globs & drips - but the original finish was there. If I could go back... But you can't un-sand something. That was years ago, & it's still un-finished. Staring at me, accusingly, every day. Would the shellac I use on the floor be the best thing to use on this also? Would the built-in always match the floor finish? I don't think this did - it wasn't nearly as dark as the floor. The inside of doors have a reddish-orange finish - they weren't painted so I left them alone. The only intelligent decision I made at the time.

Sorry, as usual I've posted a novel, lol. I have so many questions, this isn't even all of them. (I have a ton of question about shellac flakes vs premixed cans, alone!). I'll stop for now, & ask other questions later.

Comments (8)