SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
momto4boys_gw

needing a push(and advice) on this small reno (pics)

momto4boys
15 years ago

I've posted before about this kitchen. It's typical "cookie cutter". Laminate counters, builder honey oak cabs. Kind of hate it actually, lol.

I've had ideas swirling in my head for two yrs now on what to do. Every spring, when taxes and bonus rolls in I say I'm going to tackle it. But, I can never commit, make excuses, then the money is gone (with four small boys, it doesn't take long, lol)

I also think deep down, I was still thinking we'd only be here a short time. But, with the market these days. Who knows? We had big plans to buy a bigger house when I went back to work in the fall. The "deal" was once my youngest little guy went on to kindy, I'd go back after 13 yrs of being a stay at home mom. With two incomes for the first time ever, we could have more. Do more.

But, after many discussions with dh, I think we've decided I'm going to stay home a bit longer. I've been to every Christmas/Valentines/Halloween party, awards assembly, talent show, and field trip I could go to over the yrs. It breaks my heart to think of missing the rest of these with my older boys, and never going to a single one for my "baby". So, a bigger home??? Being there for my kids??? It quickly became a no brainer for me. So, now we need to make the best of it. And that's by doing something with this kitchen!!!

Problems are....

looks like every other one on the block. I'd love to do something to make it a big more costume.

Painted the walls red, which I love. But, not so much with the green laminate counters :) Now, the counters aren't BAD. Least, not for laminate. But, it's kind of Christmas year round. And I can't take it any more.

We've discussed changing out to a darker laminate, with something with some black in it. More a stone look.

I'd LOVE to paint the cabinets white. But, I worry about resale. Opinions on that??? I'm not afraid of the work. But, I also worry about the white appliances.

Backsplash?? I love white subway tile. But, again..with the appliances. And if we did white cabinets. ACK! That's a lot of white, huh?

If it wasn't open to the living room, that had olive colored furniture I'd do a green for the cabs. Sure, not great for resale, but they'd make me happy :) I'd pull from the darkest green in the counters, and save money there. And change the walls back neutral. But, gosh..I love my red walls, lol. I'm a mess, I know.

This is why I need a push!!!

Tell me.."if it was me, I'd...."

ty, ty, ty!!!! :)

Comments (19)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio