SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
babs711_gw

Happy with your GAS range (36') for baking?

babs711
12 years ago

I'm going to post this on Appliances too but am here so much and value your opinion. I feel like I'm suddenly monopolizing the forum! For our build I started out looking at the following 36" ranges:

Blue star (gas)

Kitchenaid (dual fuel)

GE Monogram (dual fuel)

While really looking in person yesterday, I found that Thermador's Pro Harmony (gas) is doing a promo for a free dishwasher with purchase of their range. For $500 you can up to their top line dishwasher. That puts that total to around $5600 which is around the price of the Bluestar alone.

I also found that both the Kitchenaid and GE Mono DF ranges came out to be more expensive than both the Blue Star alone and the Thermador with DW.

In talking with my builder this morning, he mentioned my baking and asked if I was sure I didn't want an electric oven and encouraged me to take a couple of days to be certain.

I feel like ALL I've been doing is researching for months! Does gas with convection give good baking results for people who enjoy doing so? I'm no professional but bake several times a month.

I thought I was settled on a mechanism and now I'm second guessing all over again!

Comments (23)

• suzanne_sl
    12 years ago

Interesting question. I've always baked with gas and have been perfectly happy. What have you been using?

• Bunny
    12 years ago

Does gas with convection give good baking results for people who enjoy doing so?

I've been baking with non-convection gas for many years. Baking is fun and easy for me. Other than multiple trays of cookies all cooking and browning equally at the same time, I'm not sure why convection is good for me. Will it solve the pesky problem of brownies at the edge of the pan getting too hard and dry while the ones in the center are a little gooey (yum!)?

And why would I prefer an electric oven over gas if I my burners are gas?

• Related Discussions

36" American Range All Gas vs 36" Wolf All Gas Range

Q

Comments (6)
    In February we were making a decision about the AG ranges and were looking at American, Bluestar and Wolf. We did tons of research and looked and looked. At that time I was also thinking I wanted a color range rather than stainless, so that narrowed it down to Bluestar and American. We decided the American was a better value than the Bluestar and were ready to order until we did a final measurement and discovered that the extra depth of the Performer would not work in our particular configuration because a drawer on an adjacent wall wouldn't open. So, much as we would have liked it, that eliminated that possibility. Then, we found an AG Wolf floor model on clearance (one of the old models with the open burner) and bought that. I like it, but personally I wouldn't want the burners on the new model Wolf. And, there have been a couple times (maybe only 3 or 4) when I thought to myself I would have liked to have one of the more powerful burners from the Performer. In your shoes, I'd save the money and get the Performer. This doesn't mean I don't like the Wolf; it just means that I don't think it is worth the extra money now, especially considering the fact it has sealed burners.
    ...See More

Bluestar 36' range - are you baking with a full sheet pan?

Q

Comments (9)
    We've got a 30" RNB with the convection fan at the back of the oven. I use a full sheet pan to bake rolls and bagels with - no more having to bake with two racks. I also bought a perforated full sheet pan and it's turned out to be my favorite -why I don't know (all Lincoln brand). As the other poster mentioned washing a full sheet pan is a project. We put in a huge single bowl sink and every time I have to wash a full sheet pan I think about taking it into the back yard and turning the hose on it. Handling a hot full sheet pan is my other issue. When it comes out of the oven it covers our entire 30" range top. I need to plan where to set it if there's other cooking going on in the kitchen - a hot full sheet pan loaded with bread rolls can be heavy. It is worth having - one of the benefits of having the big Blue Star oven - but don't buy a dozen full sheet pans until you're sure they'll work for you in your kitchen. Al
    ...See More

36” Induction range or 36” gas range

Q

Comments (35)
    @itsourcasa yes we did purchase the Verona Induction. We've been using it for a few months and absolutely love it. Easy to use. And it is even so much faster and powerful than our vintage gas range which was really great. We don't miss the gas "power" at all - there is plenty of power with induction. Plus the clean up is so easy. No burners to clean out the spills.
    ...See More

Thermador 36" range -- 36" commercial depth with gas and induction?

Q

Comments (16)
    Yes - we ended up with just the Thermador gas range- Thermador PRG366WH Pro Harmony® 36 Inch Wide 5.1 Cu. Ft. Slide In Gas Range with 6 Burners. We were close to getting the Thermador Dual Fuel professional range 36” pro grande commercial depth range which includes 2 induction burners and 4 gas burners but hesitated due to extra $$ and increased depth. We have been very happy with the range we got but definitely still wishfully dreaming about the Pro Grande!
    ...See More
  • eandhl
    12 years ago

Though I don't have any of the ranges you are interested in, I have a DCS, I was concerned about going from electric oven with true convection to gas. 3 plus years and everything I have baked is fine. I have used convection for cookies as well as some roasting and I am very pleased.

• gregincal
    12 years ago

I've always baked with a gas range. My understanding is that since gas is a moister heat it can make a slight difference to certain types of baking (although it's better for roasts where you want the moistness), but for 99% of us you won't notice the difference. There may be the slightest difference in the texture of baked pastries or something. I'm getting an all-gas instead of a dual fuel for my new kitchen.

• karen_belle
    12 years ago

I prefer gas for cooktops and electric for ovens. I love having a self-cleaning electric oven and don't think gas ovens can do this function as well. I'm not much of a baker, but I do use my ovens a lot and rely on the convection function for quicker cooking of almost anything.

My other comment is to look closely at the special deals where you get one appliance at a discount when buying the brand. Not all of the appliances made by a brand will be the best of the bunch. For us, the buying decision was focused on reliability, functionality, energy usage and other things and brand name was a distant last on the list of reasons we bought anything. We have a Wolf cooktop, Kenmore ovens and d/w, thermador fridge.

• cat_mom
    12 years ago

Have always used a gas oven for baking (roasting, etc.). I use the convection fan more for roasting and speeding along browning, cooking in gen'l, than I do for baking. Hadn't been baking a lot in recent years, so just now trying to regain some of my baking mojo (remembering all my old baking tips and techniques) while (still) getting used to the abilities and quirks of my Wolf AG 36" range. No issues at all using a gas oven though since that's what I am used to.

• springroz
    12 years ago

Babs, i had gas before, then had to have electric, and never quite had the same results with the electric. Maybe the KA oven was just better, I don't know, and I can't tell you exactly what is different. Never did a scientific study, but I AM going back to gas in the move!

We did the Thermador promotion, too!! I was finally at a store where I could ACTUALLY compare several brands, and chose the Thermador.

We will have to compare notes when we get finished!

Nancy

• brianadarnell
    12 years ago

I have the kitchenaid. Love it for baking and all other uses mostly. One thing I don't love is the shelf slide locations inside the oven. let's just say thanksgiving was a challenge because there is wasted space between the bottom gliding shelf and the bottom of the oven. At the top of the oven, you basically cannot use anything thicker than a cookie sheet because it runs into the heating element. Live and learn. Its only an issue once a year, but I'll add it to my criteria list for my next range and oven for sure!

• babs711
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Interesting Brianandarnell! I was wondering how your kitchen was doing since you did mostly KA appliances. I'm looking at tht 72" tall counter depth FD fridge. We're also putting in an undercounted beverage fridge for drinks to help with fridge space. How's the dishwasher? In digressing I know!

Nancy, yes! I hope you like them! When do you get your appliances?

Karen, that's why I'm investigating this so much. I don't want to get something just to get it. Today a similar Jenn-Air package came up. I can't see doing that one.

Linelle, it probably would help with that a bit, yes. Lots of people that bake prefer the dryness of baking with electric when baking cakes and cookies. It's just a preference.

Suzanne, we had a 30" Maytag that was gas. But the convection went out years ago and it had been cooking way unevenly and at the wrong temps for a while. So I'm coming from something I wasn't happy with.

I appreciate all of the feedback and experiences. It's a lot to think about. Keep it coming if you have more to share!

• brianadarnell
    12 years ago

Babs, I previously had a FD fridge and HATED IT! So, you obviously know by now that I went with the SXS instead. Nini recently did a KA kitchen too and she hates her refrigerator as well. Have you had a FD before? You may love it, I just wanted to make sure you knew about my experience and Nini's.

Dishwasher is great. No complaints there. Love that the top shelf can go up or down based on item height. I hand wash my wine glasses so I always leave the top shelf in the higher position so that my cookie sheets will fit below.

The shelf config could be an issue with all ovens. I honestly have no idea, but I recommend everyone look into it!

• User
    12 years ago

The bigger issue than gas or electric is 30" vs. 36" oven. A 36" oven takes a LONG time to come up to temp and is just a space waster for 99% of everything you will want to cook. You can fit a 25 pound turkey in a regular 30" oven, so unless you want to be cooking two turkeys at once, you'll never really tap it's capacity.

You are much better off with a rangetop and double ovens for actual cooking. Or move to a 48" range that has the one small and one regular oven. You'll get 2 additional burners or griddle or grill then as well.

• babs711
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Holly but we just don't have the room in our kitchen for wall ovens and a 36" cooktop unless we put the sink or the cooktop in the island. We didn't want to do that so range it is. Our kitchen is wide open to the dining/living and is a 12x14 "L" with a 7'ish island along the 14' range wall. The range wall includes the fridge and the turn of the "L". Those two things will take roughly five feet out of that 14', leaving me with nine. I had nice sized pot and pan drawers (roughly 30") on each side of the range. If we went to a 48" range those would go to 24". I don't feel our kitchen is large enough for a 48" range, nor is our budget high enough...there's a huge jump in price. I notice a large difference in the size of the cooking surface of a 30" and that of a 36" range. I've thought about backing down to the 30" but wonder "what if" I'll regret not having the extra space for cooking. I just don't know!!

Brianandarnell, I can't recall if it was yours or Nini's thread where I posted that I was opposite. I had a SS and hated it and can't wait to go to a FD. I think you're either in one camp or the other! Lol! I'm ready to spread out widthwise instead of being cramped up vertically. I hated it! What KA dishwasher do you have? I swear, KA has so many models to choose from it's overwhelming! I can't decide to go with the grinder or filter. Thanks!

• cmm6797
    12 years ago

Yes perfectly happy with our 36" range (Wolf). We haven't had to make any adjustments on recipes as far as timing or temperature. Bakes great! Does take very long to preheat though.

• juliekcmo
    12 years ago

OK- I am just the person to answer this question!

We remodeled about 10 years ago. That was when Thermadore was just introducing the star burners.

I was able to get the older, round burner 36 inch all gas range from the store display at a great price.

So I have now enjoyed this baby for 10 years. It is fantastic.

In my experience it takes no longer to heat than our previous (old) electric oven. It is not self-clean, but as there is nothing on the oven floor (solid metal) it is just as easy as cleaning the sink. The gas infa-red broiler is outstanding. And the Thermador I have is deep enough to take what we lovingly call "lunch lady" sheet pans. That is a full sized commercial sheet pan. At the time of our purchase the Thermador did, and the Wolf did not. I am not up to date on current dimensions, but this was a big factor for me.

I love having the 6 burners too. Yes, you will use them all once in a while. I cook mostly with cast iron, and have a grill that spans 2 burners.

• cat_mom
    12 years ago

I don't find our 36" oven takes an overly long time to preheat--fwiw.

• wildchild
    12 years ago

I went from electric to all gas. Because I bake a lot I was hesitant at first. I am so pleased with the way my baked goods turn out with gas. I have a DCS 36" all gas. The original open burner DCS,not the F&P one.

Originally I was going to add an electric wall oven to my plan. The remodel never happened. I may still do a small wall oven for smaller meals. Not sure. I use the space of the huge oven by cooking more than one item at a time in there. I bake extra for the freezer when doing cakes of bread. So I really like the large oven. I agree that preheat is a bit longer. But the heat is excellent and I rarely use the convection feature.

• nini804
    12 years ago

Hey Babs! Your layout sort of sounds like mine in that we had to do a 36" range unless we put it in or the sink in the island, which we didn't want to do. A couple of things...my neighbor did the Thermador deal when she built 2 years ago and loves her Thermador stuff...except the DW! She HATES it. I can't remember the issues she has had with it, but I remember her specifically warning me about that. You might want to check and see if there are common problems with their DW or perhaps she just got a lemon, I don't know. Oh, and I have. KA DW and love that thing! It cleans great! It is probably not as silent as a Bosch in that if I am standing next to it I can hear it...but you certainly can't hear it from the family room which is open. It is nice and sturdy!

I have the KA 36" dual, and really like it, but I have never baked with gas so I can't say if the electric oven is better. I do think it takes longer to preheat the oven since it is so big...but since that size was my only option, I just have to plan for it. Maybe gas ovens preheat quicker? That might be a benefit. And hey, aren't you getting the regular size FD fridge? If so, you probably won't have the capacity issues that I do! If not, seriously look into additional options for drawer fridges and/or freezers! I need and additional beverage fridge and more freezer space...crazy! :)

• springroz
    12 years ago

Babs, i don't have my appliances yet! They are supposed to be in today, and then they have to make a 1000 mile trip to the new house, and goodness only knows WHEN they will get installed....I don't even have a final kitchen plan!!!

• pollyannacorona
    12 years ago

Im with Karen Belle, Ive used both gas and electric and the best thing IMHO and as far as many chefs go is dual fuel. And its what Ive installed currently and in a prior build. Gas is best on the cooktop and electric for the oven. It is easier to bake with electric, and easier to clean. Ive had all electric, all gas, all propane gas, and the best is dual fuel. Electric is somehow more apt to keep baking temperatures even, if you research it you will find it to most popular with professional bakers. I grew up with gas ovens and was perfectly used to them, managed to do fine baking, so long as we kept a thermometer in the oven to check on possible overheating or drops in temperature, and monitored the hot spots moving things around part way into the baking times etc, couldnt stand electric cooktops, they overheat and take too long to cool down, dual fuel is the best of both worlds. Usually they have at least one high speed gas burner and one true low simmer settings too. Many of them sport the sealed burners so its easy to clean any spills or seasonings that spill onto the cook surface. Its most common and popular choice with higher end brands as DCS, Monogram, THermador, Viking, Wolf, etc. And if you dont want to drop that kind of money, you can find dual fuel for under 2000 at the big box stores, and they work great, you dont need to add 4000 to 6000 or more for the luxury of dual fuel unless your home demands high end appliances.

• babs711
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I just got to catch up to this thread again! I've been blowing and going the past two days between all of this build stuff I have to get done before I leave town for a work trip followed by vacation two days after. So the two weeks of build stuff I'd have to do during that time had to be done this week on top of the regular stuff. Not to mention that I work also AND have two school-aged kids. It's been a mad mad week.

So now I have conflicting opinions! I expected nothing less! LOL!

Nini, we are doing a CD french door with an under counter beverage fridge in the island. We also have a chest freezer and an overflow fridge in the garage. :) Our kitchen layout is very similar to yours except without that cased opening you have in your "L". Our configuration will have cabinet, sink, cabinet with the super susan on the turn then cabinet after the turn, our range/hood, cabinet then our fridge on that end. Our microwave drawer will be facing the range and we're putting the beverage fridge facing the sink wall but on the set of cabinetry on the stool side. That way people coming from the living area can grab a drink from that side instead of walking to the big fridge. It works nicely. Brianadarnell's kitchen is laid out almost identical to what ours will be if you turned her island lengthwise the way yours is and changed some island configuration.

The Dishwasher - I wonder if it's the room or the spacing? Thermadors are supposedly rebadged Bosches. I looked in my friend's and the configuration looked awfully similar to the Bosch I looked in the showroom. Now that have this cook blue light that comes on and off when you open the door so you can see inside. She likes hers but says sometimes she has trouble fitting things - which sounds like several Bosch owners here.

Anyway, I don't plan to use the self-clean feature in the oven. I find it takes forever and stinks up the entire house. I find I can clean it quicker myself. I've never had a problem doing that. So that's a non-issue re: dual fuel.

I wish someone could make this decision for me! LOL! Why can't things ever be easy??

• babs711
    Original Author
    12 years ago

juliekcmom, do you know if you have the Pro Harmony or Pro Grand? The PH is flush with the cabinetry (24" deep) while the PG sticks out a few inches (27" I think) and has the thermometer. I'm wondering because I can't find anything about the infrared broiler on either and was looking at the Pro Harmony initially. Thanks!

• juliekcmo
    12 years ago

Babs,
    I don't think it is either.

It does extend deeper, but there is not a thermometer. It does have convection.

It just says Thermador Professional.

It is about 10 years old.

• babs711
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Julie!