SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lauragarden

Brick Whitewashing (Limewash) OR...Staining???

lauragarden
16 years ago

I also have a very UGLY yellow/orange/tan brick all over my home. This would be a "tear down" home, but for us...this could be home for a long time. We don't have a lot of money to put into a project like this, and obviously it would do nothing for resale. I really would like to get some more curb appeal though since I'm sure we will be here for quite awhile. Painting the whole house is an expense, and adds a BIG maintenance. The house is not large, and there is some "not so bad" stacked brick on part of the bottom front of the house, so I believe I am looking to "change" only about 350 sq. ft. of brick on the front. Painting only the front of the house would also not look right since it would be the "same material", only a different color than the rest of the house. I looked into fiber cement siding and/or cedar siding, both which would cost $400.00 just for materials, and probably double that for labor. Then I researched a "whitewash". I thought this could be an easy (ha ha) process, and we could just "slap" it on the whole house. The more I read though, the more I am not sure that you need to have a level of experience...and finding the materials locally is almost impossible (either pre-made...OR to make yourself!). I considered vinyl siding as an inexpensive alternative, but I was told that won't work successfully on brick, and there's a high probability of moisture getting in because of that. I feel like I keep "hitting a brick wall" (no pun intended...). Any suggestions?

Comment (1)