SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19690609

Insulating! AC!! Shade screens!!!

User
10 years ago

Just finished the BIG move to AC instead of "swamp cooler" in the old adobe ... with the cost of water in that town (they get you for the water and again for the sewer use), and the huge amounts of water used by evaporative coolers (250+ gallons a day), a moderately efficient AC isn't going to break the bank with utility bills. And this one comes with a no-pilot gas furnace to replace the 20-year old behemoth in the attic.

That meant insulation: every contractor and inspector who set foot in the attic told me that the insulation was pathetic ... we had maybe 4-6 inches of matted-down rock wool in most places.

So they blew in enough fiberglass to take it to R38 where possible, or as high as the structure would allow.

Oh my, the difference it makes! We only had bit more than a week between installing the AC and filling the attic with insulation (waiting on inspectors) so we don't have a good pre-insulation baseline for AC use but with the house well-cooled at night, the AC would start running in late afternoon to keep the temp under 80 (dry air, ceiling fans, 80 is comfortable to me).

After insulation, it is coasting through the day, never reaching the daytime maximum on the thermostat. It doesn't turn on until the thermostat changes settings.

A side benefit is that the previously uninsulated utility porch is no longer an oven. So heat isn't bleeding into the house from it.

The main heat losses in adobe houses is through the ceiling, so winter ought to be cheaper and cozier.

=========
Other energy saving measures:

1 - Shade screens. One smallish east window was the source of huge amounts of heat because it was in the sun from dawn until mid-morning. Shade screen on it dropped the porch temp about 10 degrees.

Other east windows in LR and DR, even in the light shade of some trees,m were heat sources: shade screens for them too.

2 - Weather stripping checking and replacing is ongoing, one door and window at a time.

Comments (2)