SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cjzimmer1

COnverting from freestanding range to slide in range

cjzimmer
13 years ago

I currently have a freestanding range and I am considering buying an Electrolux slide-in range. One of my obstacles is figuring out how to fill in the space behind the slide in range.

I am NOT redoing counter so adding matching countertop is not an option. Plus the place we got the counter top from 12 years ago is no longer in business so I can't even buy a small piece to fill in. So here is where I'm stuck.

Slide in range allows for a 1 1/8" overhang on the counter. I have 1 1/4" overhang. I know they sell a filler kit but I assume it will fit for the extra space with the correct counter overhang. Thus I will have an extra 1/8" gap. Electrolux could provide no information about what the piece looked like and suggested I ask a local retailer (who couldn't help either). However, based on what local retailer said, it sounds like the back fill piece is screwed into the wall so that would leave the gap between the filler and the stove. Not so good, I'm hoping he's wrong about how it's installed but have no way to verify one way or the other. So does anyone have an electrolux slide-in with the optional filler piece so I can see what it looks like (just in case it doesn't install the way the retailer said and I could just have my 1/8" gap against the wall)?

Secondly my counters are the kind with a built in backsplash that extends a couple of inches up the wall. Since I had a freestanding range, There is no countertop or backsplash in that area. Does anyone have creative ideas on how to fill/decorate that space so it doesn't look so weird to have this 30" section with no backsplash?

I had thought about installing tile in that area to make it standout and look really nice compared to the painted walls. Hubby immediately wants to tile the whole wall (which we don't have the money to do) but that would also totally defeat my attempt to deliberately set off the area. Would a totally different color countertop be extremely weird?

Any other ideas of things we could do or even better pictures of things that someone has done?

I know pictures would be helpful but I'm completely clueless how to get anything off my camera.

Comments (3)