SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stacy3_gw

emergency question re: peach butter recipe

stacy3
15 years ago

I am making Nancy's peach butter, and as usual, I screwed up.

Here is the recipe:

PEACH BUTTER

4 1/2 lbs peaches, peeled, pitted and coarsley chopped

1/2 cup water

Grated zest and juice of 1 lemon

4 cups granulated sugar

1/2 tsp almond extract (optional)

1. In a large stainless steel saucepan, combine peaches, water and lemon zest and juice. Bring to a boil over med-high heat. Reduce heat and boil gently, stirring occasionally, until peaches are soft, about 20 minutes.

2. Working in batches, transfer peach mixture to a food mill or a food processor and puree just until a uniform texture is achieved. Do not liquefy. Measure 8 cups of peach puree.

3. In a clean large SS saucepan, combine peach puree and sugar and the almond extract if using. Bring to a boil over med-high heat, stirring frequently. Reduce heat and boil gently, stirring frequently, until mixture thickens and holds it's shape in a spoon.

4. Prepare canner, jars and lids.

5. Ladle hot butter into hot jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles, adding more hot butter if needed to maintain 1/4 inch headspace. Wipe rim. Center lid and screw band fingertip-tight.

6. BWB half pints and pints 10 minutes.

My notes: I did not measure the puree. I had good sized peaches and figured 3 would equal 1 lb. After the peaches were cooked I used an immersion blender to puree the peaches in the same pan, added the sugar (did a taste test and added a little more). The small amout of almond extract helps to intensify the peach flavor, peach pits have an almond flavor already.

This peach butter has a wonderful golden color, if you like spiced peach butter you can add spices when you add the sugar but the color will darken and you lose the fresh peach flavor.

Nancy

I am at step 3, and realized that I added the sugar at step 1...sigh.

Is it going to be all wrong??? I've already pureed it, but it has everything in it.

Thanks,

Stacy

Comments (9)