SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
celticmoon_gw

Kitchen declutter method (Alton Brown) - anyone use it?

celticmoon
17 years ago

On some thread here, I read of Alton Brown's kitchen declutter method in his Gear for the Kitchen book. Got the book (from the library, into less stuff not more!) and read the method. Basically you clear some drawer and cabinet space, and over time return anything you use to that space. Move the boundary as needed, just don't mix "ever used" and "never used" stuff. After some months you face that "never used" isn't in play, box and hold a while, then ditch.

Any of you done this or in process of doing this?

I spent a few hours today moving everything around and have discovered and decided a few things:

1) If I had available empty space, there wouldn't be a problem, LOL.

2) Because others use the kitchen and sometimes I cook a bit, er, frenetically, I need a foolproof reminder to keep the system going.

3) Sentimental value does not warrent prime kitchen real estate.

4) Some stuff I know I'm keeping, some stuff can leave *now*.

Given all that, I made a couple changes in his method. (I'm limiting myself to base cabinets - not dealing with dishes or food yet) I chose upper shelves and drawers for the "ever used" and lower for the "never used". Figure if I need it I will stoop for it. I marked the "never used" drawers and shelves with yellow police tape inside and a reminder sign: "Do not return anything here. Use above space." I got stuck in a few places (tupperware shelf) so I just put it all to one side and put tape down the middle and a sign to return to one side only.

Again breaking rank, I seeded the "ever used" with the things I *know* I use routinely. For example I "know" I use my vegetable peeler, ice cream scoop, can opener, favorite spatula, etc so it seemed stupid to put things like that in with, say, a melon baller. I also gathered and moved to my memory chest some sentimental utensils I inherited from my Dad. Living in the midwest for decades, I doubt I'll ever actually use his oyster shucker.

Not sure yet of this method but the work doubled as cabinet spring cleaning, so the time was not completely wasted. Everything is clean and wiped down, and the obviously unneeded stuff is en route to Goodwill or in the trash. But I wonder if I'll really throw out my turkey lifter, potato ricer, etc in 6 months? I know darn well I'll need them at Thanksgiving!

Anyone done this and found it useful?

Comments (24)