SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thatgirl2478

Approximate cost of full roof replacement

thatgirl2478
9 years ago

Hi,
We are completely crazy, considering buying a 1890's house that's more or less falling down and rebuilding it. It needs EXTENSIVE work, but it has a lot of positives.

One of the more frustrating things I'm running across is getting rough estimates of how much work would cost before deciding to make an offer on the place. I've been able to talk to our electrician who has done work on our property before and who has worked on similar houses, but I'm having a problem with roofing quotes.

The house is listed at just under 2000 sq ft, but I'd bet it's more like 2500 or so. The roof line is very complicated (pictures here: http://www.oldhousedreams.com/2013/06/26/1890-queen-anne-henry-il/) and the whole thing needs to be torn off & redone.

The realtor who showed us the house (not the listing agent) said that she would estimate the cost around 15 - 20k. Does that sound reasonable or not? Has anyone tackled a project of this magnitude and care to share their experiences?

The house needs to be completely rewired (15k according to my electrician), new plumbing (unknown cost), porch needs rebuilding (I would be OK with temporary non historically accurate posts) and the boiler/radiator system is questionable (though the owner swears it works). That's on top of the fact that there's no AC, it needs a new kitchen & 3 new bathrooms...

BUT!

It hasn't been monkeyed with, the details are all intact & beautiful, the room sizes are huge and the closest are fairly spacious for a house of that era. Plus it's on a big lot (the listing incorrectly states less than .25 acres, but the tax deed says the lot is .87 acres) and the town is pleasant & quiet.

So - have we completely lost our minds?

Comments (21)