SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
skyedog

Will encaustic tile work in my house?

14 years ago

I have a hallway off my back entrance that is 3 1/2' by 10'. It leads to both the basement and kitchen and is heavily used by the family - think of it as a mini-mudroom.

The house was built around 1914 and like most houses in the area is a venacular house that is a mix of styles. In this case the exterior is Chicago Prairie and the interior a mix of craftsman and colonial revival but not a lot of either!

We think the backhall originally had a pine floor but given the copious amount of sand that comes in daily I would prefer not do wood here. Ideally I would like to find a tile that would work but everything I find seems either too large and contemporary or if it's small and "arts and crafts" it is designed for very wide grout lines, neither fitting in with the house.

Some neighbors have rectified tiles in earth tones with minimal grout lines. I would love to find a tile that takes a smaller grout line and looks appropriate for the house but no such luck. No one has the hex tiles or small white mosaics in their house - only old commercial businesses have that here and I'm not too excited about the hex options either.

I got a sample of faux encaustic tile in and we are considering doing a simple pattern. Will this work or are we just "earlying up" the place? I've also looked at cement floor tiles but they almost all come in 8" squares and the floor width is 43" it might be difficult to get a pattern to look centered.

Sorry this is so long but I would appreciate any suggestions.

Comments (11)