SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maryliz_gw

Do empty containers create false hope?

maryliz
15 years ago

I was not sure what to call this thread, but I just wanted to comment, and perhaps find out your own experiences regarding new, empty containers.

I have one particular memory. I was standing in line at a national bed & bath chain store. There were two other ladies in line. There were practically vibrating with joy. They were buying a shopping cart full of empty containers. They were talking about what great storage stuff this store had. When they got home, there were going to put their stuff inside, and then they'd finally be organized.

Their excitement made me worried. I wanted to tell them that there is a lot more to organization than simply purchasing the "perfect" container. I wanted to tell them that it is only after you get rid of the useless stuff, and see what you have left, that you have any hope of organization. But I didn't say a word. Something made me think that they were not ready to learn that lesson. And so they bought their containers, and added them to their piles of stuff...

When I go container shopping, I am not giddy with hope. If anything makes me giddy, it is the decluttering.

After I eliminate the junk, I look through my available storage containers, to see if I already have something that will work. If I need to go out and buy something that is a very specific size or shape, I bring a tape measure. I go from store to store until I find the container that meets my requirements. I take notes. I make a decision. And then I go back and buy the container, knowing that it is going to work for the intended purpose.

Maybe that's not very thrilling. But that's the only way I can be sure that the container itself doesn't just add to the clutter.

Does the potential of an empty container truly have the power to make us dizzy with thoughts of what we might stuff inside? If "being organized" is one of the avenues to happiness, I can understand why so many try, but why do so many fail?

I guess it's not so important what you put into the container, but what you leave out.

Comments (13)