SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hobbesct

Recessed lighting layout for my kitchen

hobbesct
11 years ago

Hi all,

Excuse me for cross-posting this from the lighting forum. Traffic seems pretty low over there currently and I have to make some decisions quickly.

I'm trying to finalize the layout of the recessed lighting for my kitchen. Any feedback/help would be appreciated.

I plan on using 6" cans with Cree CR6 LED lighting. Over the sink will be a 4" can with a Cree CR4 (separately switched). There will be LED tape lighting under the cabinets. There are two pendants over the peninsula and a chandelier above the table.

The dimensions of the kitchen portion of the room (not including the eat-in area) are about 9' x 14'. Ceilings are 8' high.

I've worked out two rough options. Option 1 has cans positioned in seemingly optimal locations, but if looks like it could be too much light. That is a lot of cans in a small space. But the lights will be on a dimmer so maybe it wouldn't be an issue.

Option 2 has fewer cans, so maybe a more appropriate amount of lighting. Certainly it is a less cluttered ceiling. But the can locations don't seem to work as well and I'm concerned that the spacing may be just a bit too far apart to get good even lighting.

I'm open to any feedback, including modification to either of these two plans. Thanks.

- Mark

Comments (10)