SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_459360

Beche, Beche, bobeche, bananafana fofeche..... (pictures)

User
12 years ago

I guess this will probably be opened only by women of a certain age.....old enough to remember that song :)

Now that you are here, I want your opinion: bobeches or no bobeches on our new-to-us DR chandelier. Bobeches are those little cupped saucer shaped things that are often put on the base of a candle to prevent the wax from dripping onto tables or tablecloths. On chandeliers these usually look precious and redundant imo as the lights are not candles, obviously, and therefore cannot drip, so why have them?

I finally found a replacement light for the huge neoclassic lantern (that replaced a brass 12 arm a year ago). I loved the gold and black lantern but it was large and was i felt it was sucking all the oxygen out of the room. The "new" one is an older (not antique) Schonbeck that I don't love, but it fits the room and is very pretty. But it came with bobeches, which I took off, then put back on. They are cut crystal and reflect a LOT of light, nicely.

Bobeches

No bobeches

I can't decide. Mother says keep them, friend says not. I know they are for a totally fake purpose, but then the lights themselves are not candles and those 40 watt bulbs are not flames. They do seem to fill out the light at a point where it looks appropriate. What say you, garden webbers?

Comments (68)

• ttodd
    12 years ago

I like it both ways and thought that for sure I'd prefer w/. Then I saw w/o. I like the 'raw' 'nekked' look of it w/o. More edgey, updated and unexpected.

As more often than not I stand alone LOL! I'm just glad that you guys still let me roll w/ you all!

What a gorgeous piece!

• polly929
    12 years ago

I'm going against the grain....as usual.

I like it without. It looks more modern. Plus think of all the dust that WON'T get caught in the bobeches if you take them off.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

With. The sparkle factor is amazing!

Oh and thanks-I know what will be going through my head all day! ;)

• PRO
    Diane Smith at Walter E. Smithe Furniture
    12 years ago

Definitely with. Otherwise it's like...Beany without Cecil.
    Thanks for the a.m. smile!

• gracie01 zone5 SW of Chicago
    12 years ago

LOL cooperbailey! I used to say the same thing back int he day!

• mjsee
    12 years ago

I like it better without...but I grew up with a crystal chandelier without. Also--bobeches are dust catchers...

• dedtired
    12 years ago

With.

• susieq07
    12 years ago

for sure with!

• indygo
    12 years ago

With with bo bith--

• lascatx
    12 years ago

You didn't ask about the cord cover, but I would like it better without. A thinner chain would be in keeping with the chandelier and the lumpy green detracts from it. If you really want the green, try to get it looking more even.

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It does look lumpy in that photo, lascatx. It is longer than the actual chain, of course, and is sort of ruched along the length of it. The links are VERY thin and very ugly, I don't know what happened to them but I would not want them showing. I could change them out for newer ones that are more respectable looking :) I'll try to straighten the cord cover and take a better picture with it. The cover is really a lovely color---although I did not use it on th e previous two lights it looks better on this one, IRL at least.

But I will look at it without, and then .... cover, cover, bobover, bananafana fofover, fee, fie, fo-fover.... cover!

• Sidney4
    12 years ago

I vote with......

• newdawn1895
    12 years ago

I love your chandelier, but I like it best without the thingies. I love all those prisms, pretty pretty.

....Jane

• lala girl
    12 years ago

Gorgeous! I like it better without for sure.

• Jamie
    12 years ago

Not that you need any more answers, but I prefer without.

Because without emphasizes the drip factor, as in dripping with crystals, and I like that.

The bobeches look too thick to me. If they were thinner, or as someone mentioned, pointier, more crystalline, I might feel differently.

• LuAnn_in_PA
    12 years ago

without...
    without the bobeches and without the cord cover

• suero
    12 years ago

With bobeches, without cord cover.

• Sujafr
    12 years ago

bobeche--so peachy!

• HIWTHI
    12 years ago

I say yes on the bobeche's but no on the cord cover. I think a nice metal (your choice) chain looks much better.

• loribee
    12 years ago

With bobeche's...I'm frilly!

• lascatx
    12 years ago

You might be able to just even up the cord cover and make it more regular. I have a new Schonebeck that was just installed. With or without, we've got cousins. ;)

• peegee
    12 years ago

With!!!!!!

• amysrq
    12 years ago

Bye bye bobeches.

I like the cleaner, fresher look.

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thus far, the tally stands at

With: 26

Without: 9

and for those who weighed in on the cord cover,

With: 1

Without: 4

With bobeches and no cord cover is far ahead!

• mary_lu_gw
    12 years ago

With....agree with Trailrunner.....looks "nekked" without!

• pollyannacorona
    12 years ago

Without, without looks more updated,its more old fashioned and fussy victorian with, IMHO. Too much detail with. And I love chandys, have em in my kitchen. I say go nekked.

• rmcdaniel
    12 years ago

WITHOUT! It looks so much more modern and less grandma-ish without the bobeches. I am so jealous; I'd love to find a chandelier like that.

• Olychick
    12 years ago

Without either.

• busybee3
    12 years ago

pretty chandy! i like the picture better without bobeches also!
    (i might like the picture w/ better if the picture were taken farther away...)

you can bet that i'll be checking out my chandys now without their bobeches!!

• kellyeng
    12 years ago

Without the bobeche, with the cover.

• lindac
    12 years ago

Without bobeches....with the cord cover

• amysrq
    12 years ago

Oooh, without is catching up... ;-)

• JennaVaNowSC
    12 years ago

beautiful chandy! I vote without. Looks good both ways, but it looks a little too oldfashioned with. Love your room, the paint color and W/T's.

• cooperbailey
    12 years ago

I still say with bobeches.

• LuAnn_in_PA
    12 years ago

I still say without.

• lascatx
    12 years ago

The woodwork, china displayed on the wall, dark china cabinet -- the room is pretty traditional, so I'd stay traditional with the fixture, but ..... ya'll do realize this is not a democracy? The most votes does not win -- the OP's final vote wins. No need to keep counting. ;-)

• rosesstink
    12 years ago

Before I looked at the photos my thought was without but after looking I side with the "withs". I'm on the no cover side too. Replace the chain if it really is bad?

• LuAnn_in_PA
    12 years ago

"The most votes does not win -- the OP's final vote wins."

But the person tracking the votes IS the OP... kswl!

• sweeby
    12 years ago

The ones who would vote 'with' dropped out after they saw their side was winning with an overwhelming majority...

I vote WITH the bobeches.

Can't say on the cord cover as there are no pictures...

• ttodd
    12 years ago

This is like a good tennis match isn't it? Pass the popcorn please!

• mary_lu_gw
    12 years ago

I like my popcorn with butter....and fixture with bobeches!

• LuAnn_in_PA
    12 years ago

mmmm.... popcorn!
    I'll share my wine with you all if the bobeches are left off! LOL!

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It's getting closer, but the "withs" outnumber the "withouts" two to one:

With 30
    Without 15

I am not normally an indecisive person but I find myself changing my mind each time I look at the darn thing.

Question: If you like the light without the bobeches, is it because the lack of them makes the "candles" look taller? Or because you just think the bobeches are old-fashioned? Or because you just don't like these bobeches on this particular chandelier?

1. No bobeches because it makes the candles look taller.

2. I hate bobeches in general as fussy and old-fashioned.

3. No strong feelings about bobeches in general, just don't like these on your light.

I am thinking of looking for some thinner, more---pardon this ridiculous oxymoron---modern bobeches to try...
    and yes, I do have an actual job so you may well ask why I would spend five minutes on this question. If you come up with an answer, please post that as well! :)

• lascatx
    12 years ago

Like I said, I like the lines both ways, it's just that as far as I can tell in the photo, the base of the candles looks unfinished or a bit raw without them. IRL, it may not look that way. Another thing I've noticed is that the two photos are taken from different angles -- the "with" is much closer and that might have an impact on how we are seeing them.

If you really keep going back and forth, why not use it both ways and change it to suit your mood? Doesn't take any more effort than changing a light bulb to change it up and then you can enjoy it both ways.

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

They are taken from different angles... fair enough. I found one I took with the phone that was taken a bit farther away, from a different perspective still:

I also found a site that has every kind of bobeche from pressed colored glass to swarvoski crystal to brass filigree to little silk handkerchiefs weighted down on the four ends with glass beads. These last apparently go over actual candles to catch the drips. I had no idea such things even existed.

• lascatx
    12 years ago

Me either. Never knew there were that many different kinds. Maybe you can have have a boboche wardrobe for the chandy. LOL

Watching you trying to decide reminds me of how I started off shopping for anew chandelier and looking at how much I could take off to simplify them. Looked at a Waterford one I liked because it was simple. Wound up getting one with more crystals and not changing a thing. Maybe I will later, but for now I just want to see if I can drop it a link or two. We hung it at the same height as the last one and it looked good without the table but looks too high with the table in place.

Whatever you do, I don't think you can go wrong as far as with or without. I'd have to see silk ones with beads htough.

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, you asked :)
    {{!gwi}}

You said: "We hung it at the same height as the last one and it looked good without the table but looks too high with the table in place." Lascatx, I could have written that sentence word for word.

• lascatx
    12 years ago

OK, as far as protecting hard to clean cut crystal from drippy wax, I guess, but as a decorating item -- I might resort to freezing or hot water melting off the wax. Those are not for me. Have we seen it all yet? ;)

BUT, I did want to tell you that I saw some simple glass bobches in Michael's, of all places, earlier today/ They had a clear glass, one rimmed in gold and a couple of other variations. The plain ones were $6 for a card with 2.

• littlebug5
    12 years ago

With.

And I really DON'T like the cord cover.

• ttodd
    12 years ago

2. To stuffy/ grannieish looking for the particular setting. Your room is already so formal looking I just thought that w/o gave it a fresh twist on the formal that I would see in a magazine.

I don't dislike bobeche's at all and am contemplating updating one of my all glass chandies by leaving the bobeche's but taking off the crystals that dangle from it. In that instances I think that the bobeche's w/o dangley stuff is what makes it look fresh.